Time for Football Associations to get tough.

For the chaps here

Time for Football Associations to get tough.

Postby Workingman » 18 Apr 2021, 17:45

The idea of a European Super League has cropped up again, but this time with 12 teams signing up it is more than just words.

The various associations are now all of a lather. Some of them, including the EPL, are even pleading with them not to do it. UEFA is thumb sucking. Only FIFA have taken a hardline stance and said that the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

The rules will have to be rewritten or amended for that to happen, but this nonsense has to stop.
Workingman

Re: Time for Football Associations to get tough.

Postby TheOstrich » 18 Apr 2021, 19:21

To my mind, it's simply a TV marketing device - in the same way that cricket has morphed Super Leagues and 20-20, and rugby European Leagues. At the end of the day, it's all about the money. UEFA/FIFA are only furious because they wanted to do the same thing under their own brand-name - the Champions League to be unveiled imminently.

Grassroots soccer, rugby and village cricket will still be there as part of the fabric of this country, and be enjoyed by all who play and spectate every Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
I doubt the Barnsleys, Huddersfields and Portsmouths of this world will be excessively bothered by what the oligarchs of Man U., Chelsea and Liverpool want to do ......
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 18 Apr 2021, 19:57

Let them go, seriously.
Because imo the Euro Super Duper League won't work.
No relegation appeals to the American mind or the oligarch mind. You can put money in and be certain you won't go down a league.
Anyway, let them go but when they want to come back just laugh. What would they do then?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 18 Apr 2021, 20:58

I would let them go then fence the teams and players into that league and that league alone - no entry into other competitions, no international call-ups for the players.

Any fans who pay TV subs at the beginning will soon get fed up of seeing teams play each other home and away twice per season. Then there's the Euro Super Duper Cup to be played for - how exciting.

I am thinking that the fans of these clubs could kill this before it goes much further.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 18 Apr 2021, 21:08

I hope it comes off. Someone other than City or Liverpool would win the Premier League and with the top spenders away in the Euro Super League the playing field would be a lot more even for everybody else.. Seriously, I hope it happens. I'd be made up. :D
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 18 Apr 2021, 22:57

Someone other than Liverpool or City? Crommers Liverpool have won it once in, is it, 12 years? They won't be winning it this year thats for certain.
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 19 Apr 2021, 12:27

miasmum wrote:Liverpool or City? Crommers Liverpool have won it once in, is it, 12 years?

ONCE in 29 years, same as Leicester City and Blackburn Rovers. :lol:

I see that the BIG SIX are now running up against the even bigger 86 (professional clubs in the leagues) and they are far from happy. And let's not forget the bloody politicians, though what it has to do with them is anyone's guess.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 19 Apr 2021, 15:29

Yes, this has nothing to do with the government imo.

MM, Man U have won the Premiership 13 times (but not since 2013) and Liverpool once, last year. So you are right.
Chelsea have won it five times, City four (looks like five this year) and Arsenal three times, though not since 2003-04.

Do you know, I'd completely forgotten that Blackburn Rovers had ever won it.
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 19 Apr 2021, 23:08

Blimey 29 years, I really really didn't realise it had been that long. I was going to look it up before I posted but 12 years sounded about right :lol:
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 20 Apr 2021, 22:03

Oil Citeh and Chavski are set to leave, as are Atletico. Woodward has resigned from Manure.

The ESL looks to be dying before birth.

What we now need are EGMs within FIFA, UEFA and the other football federations.

New rules. Join a break away league and you and your players do not get to play in affiliated associations' leagues or cups or in their international teams and competitions; including the Euros, Nation's League or World Cup.

It's easy.... but do the elites want it to be so?
Workingman

Next

Return to The Shed