TTIWAO : a post-lockdown post-script

For the chaps here

Re: TTIWAO : a post-lockdown post-script

Postby cromwell » 24 May 2021, 11:07

TheOstrich wrote:Is Featherstone Rovers RLFC anywhere near you, Crommers? Apparently they played some sort of Non-League soccer game there yesterday - Yorkshire Trophy Cup Final, Wakefield AFC 0 Brighouse Town 2 - and got an crowd of 691 :shock:

And apparently, according to one report I've read, the price of the burgers ranged from £3.50 to £5.60 :o Rugby League prices?

Yes Os, Post Office Road is about three miles away from us.
I don't know about Rugby League prices but yes, that does seem a bit steep. I just hope the quality was OK because at one time those burgers were absolutely awful.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 24 May 2021, 16:43

It can't be anything to do with the price, I can remember when they cost 1s 6d :P :oops: :lol:
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 29 May 2021, 21:51

So to this Saturday, and a smattering of games in the area - but it's a Bank Holiday and all would have involved either a journey down the A303 and over the notorious Camel Hill, or a lengthy detour around the various bottlenecks on country roads. There was also the added hazard that of late, an increasing number of games are simply not taking place, as it's been such a topsy-turvy season that players and clubs have lost both the discipline and impetus to play - that's not in any way to blame them.

Ossie therefore took an executive decision to forego the footie, and, with Mrs O, we headed down to the Gillingham Town Meadow for the Grand Plant Sale raising funds for the Church, the local branch of Read Easy (volunteers provide one-to-one help for older folk struggling to read, including people for whom English is a second language), and various other local organisations. A 10 o'clock start, and knowing the locals here, they'd all be down there prompt. We made it for 10:30 :D .

Earlier in the week, we'd made our first visit to the local Blue Diamond Garden Centre since the pandemic first struck. We were always up there before, buying birthday cards, deli treats and casual clothing as well as plants, and frequenting the café where the Ostrich would indulge in a Big Breakfast (with a side-order of Mushrooms) whilst Mrs O settled for Eggs on Toast or a Yoghurty Granola or some such concoction. I was interested to see the café was back in action but it was "wait to be seated" and table service rather than the usual long queue with your trays at the self-service counter. We went in the afternoon; it seemed they weren't doing a fat lot of business which perhaps doesn't bode too well. My prime objective was to look at the vegetable plant stalls, and I picked up a couple of courgettes, a couple of peppers, and the last two chilli plants they had which looked a bit ropey, but I thought I'd see if I could nurture them through. They also had a load of paperbacks of the "2 for £5" variety on sale and Mrs O replenished her reading material. However, the main purchase, dear to Mrs O's heart, was a small stone bench for the patio, a curved seat set on a couple of plinths. £129.00 (with free delivery) :shock:
"It'd 'ave been cheaper if I'd just gone down to Stonehenge one evening and nicked a bit off it," grumbled Ossie :evil:

Anyway, having planted out the veg in Growbags, I still wasn't happy with the chilli plants, so I was rather hoping I might find a couple down at the Grand Plant Sale today, and after fruitlessly enquiring at all the stalls, my final throw of the dice was with the local Scouts - and "oh, yes, we've got plenty!" :D "I've no idea what varieties they are, someone just gave us a load to sell ...."
"Well," says Ossie, "I'm not an expert, I just know that Scotch Bonnet is by far the hottest."
"Oh, that one's already gone, someone grabbed it first thing." :P :lol:
So the bird finished up with a Cayenne plant, and something unknown because the plant marker was smudged and unreadable - but they're both strong, healthy plants so that's fine.

Mrs O, who had purchased some marigolds, marched home with the plants while Ossie headed to Waitrose for some summer treats. First time for ages, they had a queue waiting to get in, about 20 folk, but it all moved along quite quickly and I was in the store within 5 minutes. Picked up a nice prepared leaf salad, baby new potatoes and some vegetable arancini, with a small bottled of Banrock (Aussie white), and we've just enjoyed them for supper. 8-)

There are a couple of footie fixtures next weekend, but I'll now declare my soccer season, (and therefore this thread :cry: ), duly closed. In theory, pre-season games start in July in preparation for the Leagues to commence at the beginning of August, but with Covid cases starting to pick up again and no certainty that there won't be a return to further restrictions ...... Will the wily Ostrich be back? ;) We'll just have to see what's what closer to the time ......
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 29 May 2021, 22:05

Oh I do hope the wily Ostrich will be back. :cute:

I was late on parade this season Ossie but the posts I did read were super. :Hi:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 30 May 2021, 10:41

:D What Ally said ;)
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 30 May 2021, 13:58

Thank you both :D

I've managed to decipher the name of the anonymous chilli pepper. It's a "Jamaican Jerk" (if I can use that phrase without offending any BLM readers), and googling it, it's supposedly very hot ..... :)
TheOstrich

Postby miasmum » 30 May 2021, 20:04

Ah I hope you'll be back, I love reading your reports. I may not always post but honestly they make me chuckle
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 31 May 2021, 10:57

When you buy chilli sauces etc they use a chilli graphic for heat with five peppers either coloured or greyed out. If one is coloured it is low or very mild, five coloured is red hot and painful for the unaware. Jamaican Jerk is right on the border of three and four so mild-hot or hot-mild. Gram for gram they are about half as hot as Scotch Bonnets.

Cayennes can be low to very hot. If they are short and straight with a dark red / burgundy and dimpled skin and maybe a spike (sting) on the end be careful. Just as hot as their Jamaican cousins.

Even people like me who are used to the hotter peppers don't cook with anything more than Scotch Bonnets, Red Savinas or Habaneros. Anybody with any sense stays well away from anything with 'ghost', 'naga', 'scorpion' or 'reaper' in their descriptions. They are of the strength used in military / police pepper sprays to incapacitate violent criminals.
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 31 May 2021, 15:13

Thanks, Frank. I can live with mild-hot or hot-mild ..... :D

If the bird's reports give you a chuckle, MM, then he'll consider his job well done! ;) :lol:
But don't make it too public, or he'll be after a raise ..... :roll:
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 31 May 2021, 16:31

TTIWAO - IIN. :lol: ;)
Workingman

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed