How NOT to be a goalkeeper!

For the chaps here

How NOT to be a goalkeeper!

Postby Workingman » 15 Jun 2021, 11:04

Goalies tend to be goalies because they are not good outfielders. They have an area where the rules of the game are different for them and only apply to them.... so stay there.

What Marshall was doing 1/3 up the pitch when Schick got the balll in his own half is anybody's guess I mean, come on!

It was a wonderful strike, no doubt about that, but if Marshall had been in his area, though well forward in it, he could have got back - he nearly did - a needless give-away goal.
Workingman

Re: How NOT to be a goalkeeper!

Postby TheOstrich » 15 Jun 2021, 14:41

I guess being part-way upfield is a goalie's Pavlovian reaction to the threat of a team-mate getting under pressure and either losing the ball, or attempting a back-pass that could well be suicidal if the keeper were positioned back in his area.
I've seen that scenario happen often enough in lower league football - but then there's a more-than-evens chance that the 1-on-1 striker will put the ball well wide of the posts anyway! :lol:

Nevertheless it was a fantastic goal, as you say.
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 15 Jun 2021, 15:33

Being just short of the centre circle in the 54th minute is pushing it IMO.

OK in the 88th minute and you are hoping for a corner where the goalie can go up and cause overload.... but sometimes you have to be patient. :( :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 15 Jun 2021, 23:18

If our goalie had stayed on his line we'd have beaten Norwich, nuff said. Instead we had to endure those bloody canaries singing 'you thought you were close, but we were Klose'
miasmum

Return to The Shed