I hate to say this ...

For the chaps here

I hate to say this ...

Postby Workingman » 29 Jun 2021, 19:54

.... largely because I am not a big fan of the way England play, but we do have a good chance of getting to the final. Then who knows?

Sterling might have scored but boy did he run down so many blind alleys and lose the ball ever so easily - as usual. His passing is atrocious, but a goal's a goal. Also for 75 minutes Kane was playing 'Statues' when all around him were playing football, but he also got a goal so everything is wonderful once more.

Maybe Mr Waistcoat has a master plan after all: bore the opposition to sleep then sneak in. It has worked thus far. ;)
Workingman

Re: I hate to say this ...

Postby cromwell » 29 Jun 2021, 21:35

I'm another to be underwhelmed by England, probably because of all the hype and bs that the media spew out. Also we're taking the knee, wearing a rainbow armband - what next, having an ad for Cats Protection on the shirt?
I had a bit of sympathy for Sterling; he had to try and do something as Saka was anonymous and Kane... We'd honestly have been better off with Michael Caine. Kane looks absolutely worn out, leggy, shattered. Goal notwithstanding he didn't deserve to be picked.
Southgate picks a strong team, a team that'ss hard to score against, but not an exciting one. 3-4-3 with three central defenders, two full backs playing as wing backs, the two central midfielders are both essentially holding midfielders and a centre forward who was bang out of form.
Not one bit of creativity in the midfield until Grealish came on in the 69th minute.
17 minutes later we had scored two, but I bet Jack's on the bench again in the quarter final.

If they win the competition well done, but it's not an earth shattering event. Less of the hysterical worship please media. and if they don't win that's not the end of the world either.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 30 Jun 2021, 09:06

Crommers couldn't agree with more with the endless worship. Lets face it we still dine out on winning the world cup 55 years ago.

I think he doesn't want to risk Jack, he absolutely knows he is the lynch pin, so why risk him for 90 mins? Plus Jack spends his time on the bench completely psyching himself up and comes on as super sub like an exploding rocket. Harry Kane, cant bear the man. His post match interview just left me thinking where are sub titles when you need them.
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 30 Jun 2021, 15:12

I do not mind 3-4-3 as a starting formation as it makes it easy to transition to 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, but you have to have players with football intelligence and the freedom to see the need and then go for it. The manager can always make them go back.

The likes of Man City, Liverpool, Leeds and others allow it, but Southgate seems to want to be in total control.

Watching Ukraine last night and they often went from 3-5-2 to 5-3-2 to 4-4-2. It was easy as Sweden played to a rigid 4-4-2, but they showed it can be done.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 04 Jul 2021, 10:37

Well that was pretty good.
Three attacking midfielders had a good game. As a Leeds fan it pains me to say this, but I also think that Manchester United's Luke Shaw has been outstanding going forward.

It's been a funny old tournament hasn't it?
Denmark losing their first two games and then reaching the semi finals; the Netherlands, Germany, Portugal and France all out before the quarter finals.
I thought France were pretty much nailed on to win; a very strong squad.

Anyway, well done to England.
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 04 Jul 2021, 12:04

Despite all the hype Sancho didn't do much and Walker always has a blunder or three in his pocket, but apart from that it was steady.

Southgate has a problem with Mount and Foden same as other managers found with Lampard and Gerrard - they are too much alike. Given that the game was won I would have liked to see Mount and Sancho taken off and Grealish and Foden on just for a looksee. That's not Southgate's style though.

And Denmark do worry me.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 04 Jul 2021, 12:36

Denmark are so fired up for Erickson and also Casper plays against the players in the England team week in week out. I think Denmark will win and personally I wont be sorry.

I hate the way it becomes all encompassing, Tim's hospital have had huge problems overnight due to lack of staff, they just don't turn up for their 8pm night shift. One of Luke's team had 'family problems' yesterday. My friend and her husband arrived in Cornwall yesterday for a weeks holiday. Now he wants to come home Weds to go to one of the London fanzones. Holidays come and go apparently, but this is monumental. I bet after 3 days of him sulking she gives in. Personally Id send him home and enjoy the holiday on my own
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 04 Jul 2021, 17:24

miasmum wrote:I hate the way it becomes all encompassing

Same.
It's football, not the second coming.
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 04 Jul 2021, 18:27

cromwell wrote:It's football, not the second coming.

But it is. Have you not heard the song?

Football's coming home, again, for the second time.... or not, as has been the case some twenty odd times before! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 04 Jul 2021, 20:07

My friend and her husband arrived in Cornwall yesterday for a weeks holiday. Now he wants to come home Weds to go to one of the London fanzones

:roll:
I hope she does send him home, MM!

I must confess I've not tuned in to this Euro tournament at all. Way too much hype, and as Crommers has remarked, too much political posturing. None of it interests me, to be honest, and if England do make it to the final, I won't in any way be tempted to watch. If they win it, I shall probably retire under the duvet for 4 days to let the dust settle .... :|
TheOstrich

Next

Return to The Shed