New F1 format.

For the chaps here

New F1 format.

Postby Workingman » 17 Jul 2021, 17:44

A hit or a miss?

Friday reminded me a bit of the old Saturdays with morning 2nd practice and then qualifying.

Saturday? Well that was different. The morning reminded me of years and years ago when there was a warm up session so that the teams could dial in the cars ready for the race. It will have been useful for tomorrow, as Weber and Horner said, but it was a pretty boring watch. The sprint race was new and I quite liked it However, I am not sure about awarding points for 1, 2 and 3 when all they are doing is qualifying for the race.

It needs a bit of tweaking, but I'm not totally against.
Workingman

Re: New F1 format.

Postby Workingman » 17 Jul 2021, 19:38

I have had a rethink.

The cars have raced for17 laps and will now start from those positions. So, apart from an evening stop for fuel and new tyres in parc fermé we will get a restart, as we would after a red flag incident. Tomorrow's race is, in effect, already 17 laps old.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 17 Jul 2021, 22:08

I loved it Frank, but then as well as an ABE I am also an ABLH so I would.

I have finally found a Brit I can support (the last one being Jenson) and it appears I am all on my own because its not George Bloody Russell but Lando Norris :lol:
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 17 Jul 2021, 23:04

Shell, Norris is my man as well.

He has dragged McLaren up to third above Ferrari, and if he beats Perez tomorrow he will also be 3rd.

I did like the sprint, but imo it has ruined the 'race'.

Tyre strategy will be crucial on Sunday. We could even have cars using all three compounds in one race. Will it be a one, two or three stop race? If the track temps are similar to today evidence of blistering on the mediums says that two changes will be needed - med to med to hard or soft.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 18 Jul 2021, 19:28

Well the sprint didn't ruin the race, ABLH did that all on his own. But never mind he still won and in the eyes of the great British public thats all that matters.

Worse podium for several races apart from Charles so basically I'm just annoyed to see LH and VB on there.

My three favourite drivers are Vettel, Vestappen and Norris
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 18 Jul 2021, 20:07

Disgusted. THAT move could have killed Verstappen and all Lulu got was a 10 second penalty.

I am absolutely furious at the leeway Hamilton in given by the commentators, FIA and some fans. In the years 2009-11 when Vetttel was winning and Jenson was beating him as a team mate he was a bully and given quite a few penalties and points on his licence for his driving behaviour / style (or lack of it). All that is now forgiven.

Had Pastor or Romain (of earlier years) pulled that stunt they would have got a 10 second drive-through and calls would also be made for at least grid penalties for the next race or even a race ban.

I turned over for the T20 when I could see that he would win.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 18 Jul 2021, 20:44

I just turned the telly off. That to me was a complete Schumacher manoeuvre. I don't have Sky but my friend said Martin Brundle went from 'he should be disqualified' to oh well it was a racing incident.

Oh the comments they have made about Romain and Checo and Seb too, not forgetting the comments re Rosberg. The British public are just complete sheep.

Glad you are a Lando fan. There is some kind of sense of entitlement about Russell, I just cant ignore. It maybe stems from him complaining about Valteri fighting for position when they were 9th and comments along the lines of 'what does 9th mean to them?' But again the love fest with the commentary team just gets my back up
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 19 Jul 2021, 10:14

Speaking after the race on Sky Sports, analyst Button explained how although all the factors show Hamilton in the wrong, there is still an argument to both sides of the incident.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/89492/bu ... -wall.html

In other words he's a British world champion racing in the British Grand Prix and if there's any way of calling it a racing incident, we will. Especially Sky sports.

Earlier some were saying that Hamilton tried a move he shouldn't have and missed the apex of the corner and with a car heavy with fuel, drifted into Verstappen. In other words he made a big mistake and put another driver into the wall at extremely high speed. Verstappen is lucky he got out of that relatively uninjured.

Years ago (1990 or 1991) I went to Silverstone and it was Senna versus Mansell. It was exactly the same bone headed, ignorant nationalism then as it is now. I'm happy to be English; but I don't think it makes me special and I don't hate others because they aren't English. Some do, and it makes me ashamed to be English when I see how they behave and what they say. I can't see it changing either.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 19 Jul 2021, 11:22

DC during the C4 look back in the immediate aftermath noticed that Leclerc, who was travelling at the same speed as the front two, made the apex as intended as he overtook Hamilton coming out of the corner. If he could do it.....

I got the impression that it was a British driver at the British GP in front of a massive British crowd so the penalty was about as mild as it could get. A Vettel or an Alonso, not the favourite drivers of Hammy fans, would have been in line for at least a 10 second stop and go drive through - no work on the car.
Workingman

Return to The Shed