Mad Birds and Cornishmen

For the chaps here

Re: Mad Birds and Cornishmen

Postby JoM » 03 May 2023, 12:38

Fantastic read Ossie, I’d head for the football on Saturday if I were you. I know that’s where I’d be if we had a home game.

Your reports will be missed over the Summer.
We’ve still got three home games to go and one is a 3pm Saturday kick off, just the second at home this season - interesting experiment but not sure it’ll catch on :P There’s also a slight chance of the FA Cup final. We’ve applied for tickets and the club have been allocated 30500 which is the same number Liverpool had last year but they were transparent in how they were distributed so some searching discovered that only 71% of that amount (around 21000) went to those in a ballot once club staff, exec box users, sponsors etc were sorted.

Still, due to the proposed train strikes that day we’ve prebooked parking at Wembley in case. If we don’t get anything in the ballot then the parking can be cancelled and the £40 (I know!!) will be refunded. Then there’s the fact that for the semi final we paid £45 for our tickets, we’ve selected the same category for the final and they’ve bumped the price up to £70. We paid £56 for that category for the league cup final. We need to take a chance though, we opted in for all cup competitions this season so that’s allowed us to go in the ticket ballots for the semi and the two finals. A lot of others didn’t opt in and regretted it so will next season which means any final tickets will be harder to come by.

At least it’s been recognised that the kick off time needed changing seeing as it’s two teams from the North travelling. It was mayhem at the semi final, as soon as the last penalty went in the net we were off. A lot of us were standing on the steps waiting to go. For those travelling to Manchester the last train was 9pm out of Euston and we were still in the stadium at 7, and then you have the majority trying to get back into central London so the queues for the underground stations are horrendous. We just made it for the 8.57 train to Wolverhampton with a few minutes to spare.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 03 May 2023, 14:22

Good luck with the ballot, Jo! 8-) :D
The rail strike is going to make travelling very awkward for a lot of fans. I should think every bus and coach in Greater Manchester will be pressed into service ......

As an aside, Master O attended Brighton 6 Wolves 0 last Saturday, with a ticket donated by a friend of a friend. He enjoyed it, but I gather "Wolves were sh***". :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 03 May 2023, 19:33

:lol: :lol: As entertaining as ever, Ossie :) Have a good summer 8-)
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 14 May 2023, 15:46

A fortnight ago, we left the Ostrich’s last blog on a cliff-hanger :? - Will the Ostrich get to a game next Saturday or will he be forced to act as mine host at the Coronation Tea Party Mrs O is preparing …… :lol:

Well, after a week of scouring the supermarkets for odd ingredients to enable Mrs O to bake, or cook, or whatever it is you have to do to prepare a frittata (canned artichoke hearts, fresh asparagus :shock: ), not to mention securing Union Jack party plates, Coronation-themed napkins, strawberries and cream and a Jewel the Jack Russell chocolate cake :roll: , the exhausted bird was resigned to his fate - but thankfully over the brow of the hill rode Master O, on a flying visit to Dorset for the Coronation Weekend, and the latter agreed to act as Replacement Mine Host at Mrs O’s Tea Party. :Hi:

So with the guests arriving at 10:00 sharp for the televised procession, Ossie was out of the house promptly at 9:45 :lol: and down to the garden centre for an all-day brekkie for one (the slimmed-down variety: 1 sausage, 1 bacon, 1 mushroom (large!), beans, tomato, toast and coffee for £11.70) before a leisurely 36-mile cross-country trip into the depths of the Somerset Wetlands!

This particular fixture saw my first visit to the Ethan Berry Stadium, home of Middlezoy Rovers, which has been on my bucket shop list for some time. An easy spin down the A303 and A372 via Langport, latterly down dead-straight roads with numerous humped bridges over various waterways and rhynes, with the football club’s floodlights first becoming visible in the distance above the dark earthen ramparts that surround the site of Westonzoyland Airfield. Used by the RAF, this was one of the oldest airfields in the country and remained operational in some degree or other until the 1960’s. Now, it’s largely derelict but there were wind-socks up and flying, and the runway is now used by microlights and the Sky Watch Civil Air Patrol, which helps support the emergency services.

The turning off the main road into the heavily-potholed farmer’s track that leads up to the football ground is not the easiest ,but once inside the stadium’s perimeter, there was plenty of parking available. The attractive, red-roofed single-storey club house and changing room block runs half the length of the pitch; the function room and bar are both well-appointed, and some impressive silverware was on display at one end of the bar, but not unfortunately ithe Somerset FA Senior Cup which they had won the previous Wednesday.

The clubhouse sports a wide veranda, adequate I would have thought for most inclement weather, but if the prevailing stiff southerly breeze, which set the floodlights and perimeter fencing singing, had been rain-bearing, it wouldn’t have been much fun even under the canopy. Thankfully, the early morning rain had dried up as I had headed west, and by the afternoon, the ground was bathed in warm sunlight. 8-)

Middlezoy are in contention for promotion from the Somerset County League to the Pyramid proper next season, but they’re not counting their chickens just yet. :| They have to meet ground grading conditions and get voted in at a meeting of the Blazers; they should find out their fate this coming week, I believe. They have a small number of improvements to make but their plans are well advanced. They’ve even trial-drilled a borehole on their land and water was quickly struck (big surprise on the wetlands! :lol: ), and as they’ve secured an abstraction licence, no problems with pitch watering next year. :D

The game pitched 3rd in the league versus 7th, and given the number of fixtures both clubs have had to play in recent weeks thanks to all the postponements over the winter months, it was perhaps not a huge surprise that after a very competitive and robust first 45 minutes, the game became more turgid in the second half - but it was always watchable. 8-) Middlezoy opened the scoring on 5m when a corner to the far post found their no.7 with his back to the goal; he swivelled and fired the ball across the keeper and home. The second on 30m came from a quick break down the left, the defence was caught cold and no.11 drew and easily beat the away keeper.

Stockwood Wanderers, from Bristol, pulled a goal back shortly after half-time but Middlezoy wrapped it up on 68m when the Stockwood keeper managed to block a shot, but Middlezoy’s no.11 just beat him to the rebound to prod the ball into the net.

I was impressed with the set-up at Middlezoy and I hope they do get their promotion confirmed. They give the impression of being a very go-ahead club with an enthusiastic committee, so good luck to them. :D

06/05/23 – Somerset County League Premier Division
Middlezoy Rovers 3 Stockwood Wanderers 1
No admission charge
Refreshments: a cheeseburger for £4 from the food hatch in the clubhouse.
Attendance: 51.

And so to the bird’s final game of the season. :) Yet another new ground in the Somerset County Leagues - but this time in the bottom-most division, and featuring the bottom two clubs! You can’t get a lot lower than that! :mrgreen:

The village of Tunley sits in the old Somerset coal-fields on the other side of the Camerton valley from Peasedown St John, which Ossie visited earlier this season. Indeed, you can see Peasedown nestling on the horizon from the more elevated parts of Tunley Athletic’s recreation ground. To get to Tunley from Radstock, however, you have to drive down into the valley and up the other side, and this being BANES territory (Bath & NE Somerset District Council), the whole route is 20mph with numerous chicanes and other traffic-calming hazards scattered at regular intervals. At the entrance to each of the chicanes, you are advised to “give priority to oncoming traffic”. And that’s the same in both directions! :shock: So the result is, you sit looking at the bloke at the other end of the chicane until one of you flashes the other through. And if you both flash simultaneously …… :roll:

Tunley Recreation Centre is a lovely little ground accessed by a narrow track down from the main drag - blink and you’ll miss the entrance. :D It’s opposite the King William pub, which is about the only landmark in the village. There’s a reasonably sized car-park on site with overflow grass parking next to the children’s play area. The recreation ground’s hall is an unprepossessing block behind one end of the pitch, but it’s spacious inside with a small bar and refreshment area. A separate changing room block sits alongside it. The ground has a raised embankment in one corner which gives a panoramic view over the area.

The pitch, which is railed on three sides, slopes slightly from end to end. There are two small dugouts and a rather solid-looking covered standing area, basically occupied by a number of ancient plastic chairs :lol: . A sign on this stand says “Tunley Athletic Centenary 2012”, but I’d have thought it had been there for much longer than that, judging by the forlorn state of it. :?

An unfortunate incident during the pre-match warm-up. :| A wayward 35-yard blockbuster from one of the Burnham players hit the referee’s Fiat which was parked directly behind the goal and crazed the windscreen. :o A salutary reminder to watch where you leave the car at some of these smaller grounds …... in fact, when I first arrived, I’d parked alongside that very spot, but I had decided on reflection to relocate onto the grassy strip.

An entertaining game got off with a bang, Tunley’s no.8 placing a superb shot into the corner of the net in the 2nd minute, giving the away keeper no chance, and Burnham equalised on 5m with an emphatic header. Chances followed at both ends with Tunley always looking the more likely to find the net, and the half-time score of 3-1 was a fair reflection of play. Burnham looked lightweight in midfield and their defence at times went AWOL in the face of some direct attacking by the home side, who were clearly “up for it”! :twisted:

Tunley notched two further goals in the second half, one of which came from a 40 yard run through the defence and a cool finish. Burnham managed an 86th minute second goal, in off the post, to complete a 7-goal thriller. :D

13/05/23 – Somerset County League Division 3
Tunley Athletic 5 Burnham United Reserves 2
No admission
Refreshments: Diet Coke (no calories, no sugar! :mrgreen: ) and choc bar from the recreation hall £1.50.
Attendance: 24.

And that’s it for this season! Enjoy your summers; the bird may or may not be back next July, depending on health and fitness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHEeG_uq5Y
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 14 May 2023, 17:37

Thanks again Ossie, for all the terrific posts this season :D Well done on escaping the Coronation party with feathers intact ;) :lol:

Of course, if you’d been down Queen Camel way this past week you could have given us some kayaking or scuba reviews - terrible flash flooding! :shock: Luckily my brother-in-law’s place was unaffected!
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 14 May 2023, 17:53

Kaz wrote:Thanks again Ossie, for all the terrific posts this season :D Well done on escaping the Coronation party with feathers intact ;) :lol:
Of course, if you’d been down Queen Camel way this past week you could have given us some kayaking or scuba reviews - terrible flash flooding! :shock: Luckily my brother-in-law’s place was unaffected!

Thanks, Kaz! :D

SiL lives in Little Weston, about a mile and a half from Queen Camel. She was affected by water coming off the local hillside to the extent that the bottom of her garden was flooded, but the house luckily wasn't affected. Others in the hamlet weren't so lucky, though, they had their drives damaged by the spate of water. Mrs O and I were "caught" in the same storm; we were at ae local garden centre and marooned in there for a quarter hour or so by the intense downpour! It was certainly dramatic!
I think SiL knows some of the folk whose property was damaged by the Queen Camel flooding. :|
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 15 May 2023, 06:29

Well done on moving your car!

Thanks for your posts. My Monday morning coffee won't be the same!
Ally
Site Admin

Postby cromwell » 15 May 2023, 14:42

Great read Os. Thank you for another seasons worth of entertainment!
Westonzoyland; that's near the site of some battle. The Duke of Monmouth's rebellion maybe.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 15 May 2023, 19:40

cromwell wrote:Great read Os. Thank you for another seasons worth of entertainment!
Westonzoyland; that's near the site of some battle. The Duke of Monmouth's rebellion maybe.

The Battle of Sedgemoor, Crommers, the end game of the Monmouth rebellion.
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 15 May 2023, 19:41

Ossie, very glad your SiL's property escaped damage, and glad you and Mrs O did too!
Kaz

Previous

Return to The Shed