Mad Birds and Cornishmen

For the chaps here

Mad Birds and Cornishmen

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Jul 2022, 22:55

Settle down at the back there and pay attention, Professor Ostrich is now up on the Podium! :shock: :lol: With a white board covered with his unintelligible scribblings and a long pointy stick to hand, he wants to explain to all and sundry what is happening this coming footie season. :geek:

Actually, the bird is making a huge meal out of it, because this year, in fact, there is just one over-riding target. And that is to see Mousehole FC! :D

The short long story is that last season, the FA introduced their Grand Readjustment of League Boundaries, which resulted inevitably in a lot of rumbling across the country, but nowhere more so than in the West Country, where a raft of ambitious Cornish clubs were happily elevated to the Western League Premier (Step 5), necessitating trips as far north as Bristol. The Cornish club were happy; the Avon clubs seriously unamused, and we got very close to pitchforks at dawn :P , not least when Keynsham Town were asked to travel to Mousehole for a Tuesday evening fixture. As someone at Keynsham wryly remarked “Manchester’s closer ….” :|

In the event, Keynsham Town actually refused to go. :evil: Scrutiny of the FA FullTime results website shows that Keynsham forfeited this 5th April game, but tellingly three weeks later, it was Mousehole’s turn to visit Keynsham – which they cheerfully did, losing 2-1. That was on a Saturday, though, not midweek ......

So the FA were bludgeoned into a rethink, prompted by threats of resignations of Bristol-based clubs in this current close season. And so, from 2023/24, the top Cornish clubs will be in a newly constituted league which will see them confined to Cornwall and Devon. And my only chance of watching the last remaining top-flight Cornish club I need to see – the wretched Mousehole :lol: - will be sometime this season. Will the bird be successful? Or have his chances flown. :mrgreen: The fixtures are out, but the planners have not been kind, so we must wait and see!

So, to Shaftesbury last Tuesday to go pay a deposit towards the removal of the Infernal Device from the roof and the replacing of it by a Solar PV system to generate electricity for household use. The original Infernal Device over-pressurised and exploded last April :o , and that was, for us, the final straw. We are getting 12 panels – the new models are more efficient than the old ones you see in a typical 16 panel array – and we hope, fingers crossed, we will make a decent saving from our annual bill. We aren’t getting battery storage as that would nearly double the cost (!) but technology is improving and we might later if the price comes down. We can also export surplus electricity to the grid for a paltry quarterly payment, but there are multiple administrative hoops to be jumped through before we can do this, not least installing a smart meter. We’ll look at it once we’re up and running. Are we throwing yet more good money after bad? I don’t know, but at least they have promised it won’t explode! ;)

Shaftesbury itself was very interesting. It was the first time we’d been up there since Covid struck. Pre-Covid, if you weren’t in the main car park by 10:00, you’d be lucky to get a spot. Last Tuesday, we arrived at 9:45 and it was virtually deserted. And so was the town. :? A number of key shops in the High Street closed during the pandemic; the place has a slightly forlorn look now. Tellingly, there was no evidence of tourists looking at Gold Hill or the Abbey – no coaches in the car park. That could well be down to both Brexit and Covid; Dorset County Council hiking parking charges probably hasn’t helped either. The pedestrianisation of the High Street (a measure introduced during Covid because of narrow pavements and social distancing) seems to have now been abandoned. We came away actually thinking that Gillingham, our town, looked more thriving and prosperous that its more illustrious neighbour.

We did visit Boots and managed to buy a replacement hot water bottle for the Ostrich, at an extortionate price of £13.99 :shock: . That’s because we have had a series of cheapo “Cassandra” (made in China) ones from the pharmacy which have only lasted less than a couple of years, if that, before bursting. Not good. :| The Boots brand “Wasserbottles” are made in Germany and we have never had a problem with them. :D

So to the opening footie fixture of the 2022/23 season, and a return visit to the village of Heytesbury in Wiltshire.

No real changes to this attractive ground have taken place since my last visit more or less a year ago, but parking in the road outside the ground is now a bit more restricted (I think the locals have been complaining! :evil: ), but you can still park easily on the main drag through the village. And there is a plastic net “canine control barrier” now behind the near goal, which I think is aimed at a regular attendee, an over-exuberant collie-type, who is absolutely fixated by the action and follows every bit of play with complete intensity. :D Lovely dog, well-behaved, and I’ve never seen him encroach the actual field of play, but he tends to fix the opposition goalkeeper with a totally un-nerving stare, enough to put anyone off their stride! :lol: Plenty of benches dotted around the pitch, but it was hot out there in the sun, and most folk stayed firmly in the shade of the numerous trees surrounding the ground.

Heytesbury’s opponents, Park United, based at Stanley Park on the outskirts of Chippnum, were playing their first ever senior game, having just been accepted into the Trowbridge & District League Division 2. A stern test against the Division 1 hosts, but Heytesbury looked a bit rusty (understandably) in the first half and it was 1-1 at the interval, Park having equalised from close range with the last kick of the half after Heytesbury had opened the scoring on 35m, a long ball in from the right finishing in the back of the net; unclear if anyone got a touch to it.

Heytesbury notched their game up a gear in the second half, regained the lead on 50m, and then scored another five as Park wilted in the heat. The final 3 goals, all clinically put away, came in a three minute burst, (83m > 86m). The final result was a shade flattering to the home team; 4-1 might perhaps have been more appropriate. More importantly, I successfully negotiated my 95th consecutive game without a goalless draw, and hope I’ve chosen my Pre-Season Friendlies cannily enough to reach the never-before-achieved magic ton. Vic, suffice it to say, Yeovil Town do not feature on my itinerary …. :lol:

09/07/22: Pre-Season Friendly
Heytesbury 7 Park United 1
Refreshments available from the Hospitality Hut (tea, bikkits) by donation. The Ostrich gronffed two digestives, two shortbreads and a slice of jammy Victoria Sponge, :shock: and I made him put £3 in the Honesty Box. I also visited the Angel In pre-game, (the last “n” had fallen off :lol: ), which is just over the road from the ground, for a lime and lemon, ice and slice, costing me £2.70. I did take a peek at the lunch menu as it’s a nice pub, but you wouldn’t get away with anything less than £35 for 2 folk, and that’s just mains and coffee, I’m afraid. Sign of the times ..... :?
Attendance: 11 + a gaggle of under 8’s. No dogs today!
TheOstrich

Re: Mad Birds and Cornishmen

Postby miasmum » 10 Jul 2022, 23:59

I've been to Mousehole several times you probably won't be surprised to read
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 11 Jul 2022, 14:07

Pity the canine mesmer was absent Os.
I hope you get to see Mousehole this season. What's their nickname, "The Rodents"? ;)
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 11 Jul 2022, 15:22

cromwell wrote:What's their nickname, "The Rodents"? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Apparently it's "The Seagulls" .... move over, Brighton & Hove Albion :mrgreen:
https://www.mouseholeafc.co.uk/

And I see Ipswich Town have found it necessary to call on their services already ... :shock: :lol:
https://www.mouseholeafc.co.uk/kieran-s ... wich-town/
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 11 Jul 2022, 18:17

:D Welcome back, that burd! :D
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 11 Jul 2022, 23:17

TheOstrich wrote:

And I see Ipswich Town have found it necessary to call on their services already ... :shock: :lol:

Well there you go good old Ipswich
miasmum

Postby Ally » 12 Jul 2022, 07:11

Fabulous read and great to have you back Ossie. :Hi:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 12 Jul 2022, 10:25

TheOstrich wrote:

The seagulls! That really made me laugh :lol:

I remember a big family holiday to Cornwall when I was 9 or 10 and we visited Mousehole one day and my one memory of it is seagull related. We were walking around the harbour and our Nan looked up and splat! A present from a seagull landed on the left lens of her glasses :lol:

Just under four weeks until the season starts for us. We’re ready to go with our season tickets in our Apple wallets along with the parking pass, it’s going to be a funny one this year though with the disruption caused by the World Cup in December.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 18 Jul 2022, 14:42

“Get a move on, Ostrich, you’re already 24 hours late with the weekend’s match reports!” :P
“For Pete’s sake, I’m going as fast as I can. Don’t you know there’s an extreme heatwave warning on?”
“Heatwave, what heatwave?”
“Well you might be a climate change denier, but I’m not. Went to put me head in the sand last night and scalded me beak!” :evil:

So, here we are then, in our first* Red Heat Alert, and I must say, it’s not quite as bad as all that, because down here in Dorset, we’ve actually got a lot of cloud cover at the moment, so it’s hazy sunshine and not rays beating down on you. Yes, it is hot, but interestingly, I see the BBC Weather App has reduced this afternoon’s temperature for the Blackmore Vale from 35C down to 33C.

* I did read somewhere that the Met Office only “invented” red heat alerts a couple of years ago, so it’s hardly surprising it’s the first ….. ;)

Mind you, the most worrying sign is the temperature from Portland Bill. :? That’s not Portland Bill as in Dogger Bank, Finisterre and Rockall, the Shipping Forecast Reports, but Portland Bill as in “Portland Bill”, the £1.99 souvenir thermometer with a jolly fisherman and a red and white striped lighthouse which we bought from the “Lobster Pot” café while watching dark scudding clouds and high waves crashing over the point when we last visited the place about three years ago. "Portland Bill" lives on the kitchen window-sill and whatever the season, whatever the weather, has constantly displayed 63F since we bought it. :lol: But today, it’s actually showing 80F ! :o So maybe climate change is real. Anyway, I’m sure it’s going to give the local BBC reporters hours of fun haring around Cambridgeshire this afternoon, breathlessly trying to find the “highest recorded temperature” …..

Cynical? Moi? :cute:

To the first of this week’s match reports, because you’ve actually got a BOGOF today. On Tuesday, down to the local Gillingham Town ground for a pre-season friendly, where I excelled myself my complaining bitterly that they charged me full Western League prices for a game against a minor Somerset County League side. :evil: I’ve probably got meself banned from there now; must remember to keep up the anger management classes … :|

In the event, the final result very much flattered the home side who, in a feisty match, had difficulty at times in holding off their lower-rated opponents. In fact, Ilminster Town might well have won this one – if their no.17 hadn’t missed a completely open goal on 3m, putting the ball wide, we might have seen a different result tonight. Indeed, Gillingham only went into the interval with a 1-0 lead after an Ilminster player had unfortunately deflected a shot with his head past his own keeper (38m).

The visitors happily moved the ball around the park and put together some impressive passing combinations, using the wings well. I don’t record the number of shots each team has on goal, but I should think the count would have been well in the away side’s favour. In comparison, Gillingham were made to look pretty ordinary and didn’t really develop their attacking game until late in the second half, scoring a couple in the last 10 minutes which put a bit of a gloss on the result.

And if this hadn’t been a friendly, I think we could well have been looking at a number of cautions tonight; plenty of elbows going in and robust tackling throughout the game. The referee, in a normal match, might also have sin-binned a couple of players for backchatting.

Gillingham made it 2-0 on 66m, their no.8 controlling the ball well in the box, swivelling and netting from close range, before Ilminster pulled their goal back on 81m, their no.11 positively hammering the ball home from 10 yards. 2-1 might have been a fairer result for this one, but there you go …..

12/07/22 Pre-Season Friendly
Gillingham Town 4 Ilminster Town 1
Admission £5. They were going to charge me £6. Larcenous! :evil:
No paperwork; refreshment hut and (presumably) bar were open, but didn’t partake.
Attendance 20-30

With the Impending Doom dominating the news bulletins, we decided on Thursday to take a wander down town and see if we could source some sun-hats. I only have two titfers to my name and neither is suitable for this weather. Indeed, one is a Canadian Lumberjack’s furry hat with large side flaps - both Mrs O and Master O disown me when I attempt to wear it. :)

“Makes you look like that fur-trapper in “The Revenant”,” says Mrs O.
“Huh. More like the bear.” :P
“WHAT was that, Ossie?”
“Nothing ….” :mrgreen:

Anyway, Asda came up trumps. £5 for Mrs O; £8 for myself; Chinese, needless to say. And according to the labels, made of 100% paper straw. :?

“Can’t wait to see you take THAT out in the rain,” remarked Ossie, smugly. :twisted:
“Shut up, you daft bird!”

So to Saturday. And my first visit to Coppice Street, the home of Shaftesbury FC for nearly three years, since when they have installed a new 3G pitch. On-site parking, always difficult at Shaftesbury, has been restricted by the setting up of a hand car wash business next to the clubhouse, and today the area behind the Social Club was cordoned off as well, possibly for resurfacing. So it was down to the Angel Lane public car park, and my first encounter with one of Dorset County Council’s brand-new super-duper solar-powered high-tech parking machines, which they are rolling out across the county to replace the old ones which were always breaking down.

Step 1 – Press the Green Button to Start.
Presses the green button.
Screen lights up.
“Out of Order”
You couldn't make it up …… :lol:

The creation of the 3G pitch, as well as levelling it, has freed up a lot of room for spectators behind both goals, and the ground now feels far less cramped than it did. The relocation of the dugouts (spacing them further apart) has improved the sight-lines from the small covered standing area on the far side, but you still can’t see any action near either of the corner flags if you’re in that shelter.

This game featured two Step 7 sides, Shaftesbury Reserves, with the visitors from the Hampshire Premier Senior Division. After a quiet start, Winchester Castle quickly took a two goal lead, both placed with precision low to the keeper’s right by their no.9. The visitors looked quite a composed and experienced side, and had little trouble in restricting Shaftesbury to ineffective, long-range attempts on goal which invariably went high and wide - until virtually the last kick of the half when Maskell got one on target, and the Winchester keeper duly missed it! :lol:

Second half substitutions provided Shaftesbury with a bit more youth and vigour. On 55m, Davis broke down the left, cut inside and beat the keeper from a narrow angle, and the winner came on 71m when Barnard slotted the ball home from close range in a goalmouth scramble. Tempers got a bit frayed after that :evil: , and the referee (first sighting this season of the indefatigable Mark Chinnock!) had to calm down a couple of pushing and shoving incidents, but otherwise it was a decent, watchable game played in good spirits.

16/07/22 Pre-Season Friendly (11:30 am kick-off)
Shaftesbury Reserves 3 Winchester Castle 2
Admission: £2.
Programme by donation: a rudimentary cyclostyled 16pp affair covering this season’s first team friendlies only – and therefore nothing about this particular game! :|
Refreshment hatch open, and was actually serving chips. :shock: Way too hot for that. Still, stopped off at the chippie outside the ground and relieved them of one sausage and one saveloy (£3) for lunch …. :D
Attendance: 18
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 19 Jul 2022, 17:45

Fair play that burd, getting out there to watch the footy rather than burying your head in the sand :D :D ;)
Kaz

Next

Return to The Shed