That sinking feeling...

For the chaps here

Re: That sinking feeling...

Postby miasmum » 12 May 2023, 19:18

Keiran McKenna has turned out to be a fantastic choice for Ipswich. I just hope if we do well next year we can hold on to him.

Maybe they need to look beyond the usual roundabout of Graham Potter, Dean Smith, David Moyes etc and find some hungry young manager, Vincent Kompany was another inspired choice
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 28 May 2023, 18:48

Aaaaaand - we're down.

Absolute lack of surprise. An horrendously unbalanced squad packed with midfielders when we were desperately short of quality in defence and attack.
Overpaying for mediocre players - which we are going to find when we come to try and sell them.

In the end the squad was a million miles from being Premier League quality. You could take the best bits of Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Bill Shankly and Pep Guardiola and we would still have gone down.

There is so much up in the air now. We don't know who the owner is going to be next year, or the coach, and there's going to be a long list of comings and goings on the playing side.

I hope they buy more players with experience of playing in this country and get a good coach. That will be a start.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 28 May 2023, 22:45

Tough luck, Crommers - results didn't go your way.
Hope you can get rid of the dead wood and regroup for next season.
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 29 May 2023, 10:50

Thanks Os. There is a lot that needs to change and getting back won't be as easy as some think. We'll see how it goes.
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 29 May 2023, 16:25

Big Sam was, hopefully, only a seat warmer to see out the season. However, who do we bring in?

Getting rid of Bielsa was not the wrong thing to do, but brining in Marsch, was. Too many wide receivers and tight ends...

I suppose Potter might get a go given what he did with what he had at B&HA, unfortunately he took on the poisoned chalice that is Chelsea, and there's the rub. Chelsea are lop-sided and disjointed and Poch (new manager) is going to have to do a big clear out. The same is true for Leeds United.

Whoever comes in will either have to have a fire sale or take steps to convert some of the midfielders and wingers to other positions. That can and has been done before. It is not that we don't have skilful players, we do, just in the wrong roles.
Workingman

Postby JoM » 02 Jun 2023, 13:47

I see Big Sam’s gone. It’ll be interesting to see who you get. There are a few teams ending the season with an interim manager in charge aren’t there. Who’s available? Graham Potter, Brendon Rodgers…is Ralph Hassenhutl (sp?) managing anyone. Hopefully you’ll steer clear of Gerrard and Lampard. Gerrard was thoroughly disliked by Villa supporters and the less said about Lampard the better.

Me and Joe were rooting for you to stay up, really wanted Everton to go down.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby cromwell » 03 Jun 2023, 13:06

I wouldn't mind Potter. Rodgers isn't popular with Leicester fans, dunno about him. I don't think that we can take a risk on Gerrard; it's noticable how much Villa picked up after he left!
I would hope that we can get a manager with experience of English football; one with an idea of how he wants to play and the type of player he needs to do it successfully.
As WM says, we do have some skillful players. For example Gnonto, Sinisterra and Harrison. Pity they are all left wingers! :lol: :lol:
That's how mad our recruitment has been.
Most of our first team will leave and maybe that's a good thing; to clear the decks for the new manager.
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 03 Jun 2023, 19:26

As I said earlier up the thread get a a hungry young manager, not the usual merry go round ones
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 03 Jun 2023, 19:42

You mean someone like your man, Kieran McKenna? ;)
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 03 Jun 2023, 23:01

Someone like, yes. Or like Vincent Kompany
miasmum

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed