Cricket commentators

For the chaps here

Cricket commentators

Postby cromwell » 21 Jul 2023, 16:54

I grew up listening to the cricket when people like Richie Benaud, Brian Johnson, John Arlott, Don Mosey and Henry Blofeld were doing the commentary.
They were imo very good.
There was a more relaxed approach then which to me suited the game more.
Now they seem to want to rabbit on filling every moment with talk and endless analysis.
Perhaps employing mainly ex cricketers rather than a few more professional commentators doesn't help.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: Cricket commentators

Postby Workingman » 21 Jul 2023, 21:32

Dad absolutely adored test cricket in the long lost days when it was on TV, however, he did have one rule - watch on TV, listen on the radio.

The radio told him what had happened and he could see it on the TV. He didn't need it explaining.

"Trueman to Hawke... and he's caught at slip by Cowdrey!"

Then there were the cakes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Commentary diarrhoea is everywhere in sport nowadays.

I like F1, but only the practice, quali and races. I could not give a stuff about all the fluff, slebs, he said, she said.

Just give us an introduction and then the action.

Football: The match kick off is 3 pm, we do not need an hour of carp leading up to it.
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 22 Jul 2023, 10:22

Every sport is the same.
Watching the golf last night. It took nearly five minutes to show how one of the holes was set out and the best position to land the ball.
I want to watch the golf, not possibilities. And whyshow shots of spectators. It is the golfers we want to see.
cruiser2

Postby cromwell » 23 Jul 2023, 11:22

Workingman wrote:Commentary diarrhoea is everywhere in sport nowadays.

It is.
It's possibly unfair to pick out Nasser Hussein but Gordon Bennett, he never shuts up.
I like watching motor bike racing but it's all too matey matey - half the time the commentators are having a jolly good laugh about something or other, or expounding their latest theory - three quarters of the time what you are seeing on the screen has nothing to do with what the commentators are talking about!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to The Shed