World Cup in Oz and N.Z.

For the chaps here

World Cup in Oz and N.Z.

Postby Workingman » 22 Jul 2023, 15:04

I have watched every game so far and the worst of the top teams has been England.

Toone, Walsh and Stanway were anonymous in midfield. Bronze and James run around like headless chickens but with no end result, and Carter: well!

The back line needs looking at. Only Greenwood looks comfortable.

We will get out of the group, but that might be it.
Workingman

Re: World Cup in Oz and N.Z.

Postby cromwell » 22 Jul 2023, 16:35

I agree, it's not looking good. They can't seem to score from open play. They're missing Beth Mead.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 28 Jul 2023, 09:29

Hmm, I have just seen the line-up for the game and I'm not sure.

Daly at left back is OK as she can play anywhere and would probably go in goal if asked. I would prefer her on the right instead of Bronze and Charles at left back, but that would mean dropping Bronze and that's, apparently, illegal! :roll:

The big problem the other day was that Toone and Stanway were anonymous and that left Russo isolated - she had no support. So what happens, we get the same again! However, we also get another headless chicken in James (Bronze is the other) lots of running about and twists and turns but with no end product instead of Hemp.

I expect a low scoring draw.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 28 Jul 2023, 13:39

Well you were right about the low score. If Denmark hadn't hit the post late on you would have been bang on.
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 28 Jul 2023, 13:53

And right about other things. It was a psychological post as I know that the girls read everything that we say. :wink: Shame it didn't work. :lol:

James scored from that No10 role where she should be instead of Toone, who once again was anonymous, but then she also went anonymous herself when she took over the role; an enigma.

Bronze is a liability, I can't fathom what the pundits see in her. Can't defend, makes horrible Holllywood passes (leg breakers) and runs up cul-de-sacs.

Russo is talking a lot of stick but she is isolated with three and four defenders around her and that's because Toone and Stanway are not making runs in the box to take them away. It would not make any difference if Daly or Beth England were in her place... as we have seen.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 06 Aug 2023, 15:31

So, the USA are out. Not because they played badly, they were very good. Not because they were arrogant or entitled, which they weren't. They lost on penalties. We English know more about that than anyone. :shock:

They were beaten by a brilliant goalkeeping display by Sweden's Musovic, who stopped four "certain" goals. Player of the match by a country mile.

I do not get this hatred of the USA (Gemany, France, Australia) by many Engish (UK) supporters.

Were any of them at Yorktown, Agincourt, Dunkirk or with Cook at Botany Bay? Not a chance.

Gob5hi1tes the lot of them.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 06 Aug 2023, 18:07

I think a lot of it is jealousy; and ignorance.

Like the English cricket suporters booing the Australians; yeah, like we've never done anthing dodgy!
cromwell

Postby cromwell » 08 Aug 2023, 10:25

Well, the Lionesses got through by the skin of their teeth. In truth Nigeria were the better side and somewhat unlucky, hitting the bar twice. We are still finding it difficult to score from open play, there's little support for the striker.
The usa are out, I think they picked too many older players; picked on reputation rather than current performance perhaps?
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 08 Aug 2023, 16:13

I have been saying all tournament that Russo does not get the support she deserves / needs..

Outside the red card Lauren James was rubbish. We were told at half time that she had seven touches. It was no surprise because when she does not have the ball she is lazy, lethargic and just wanders about. With the ball she is a sparkler, without it a dud.

She was marked one-on-one and we were told that was the problem. Well when I played if you were marked one-on-one you made runs to put distance between you and your marker.... loads of them, all the time. Nobody passed to you if you were closely marked.

Picking an unfit Walsh was also a mistake. Zelem is more than capable cover in the 3-5 (2-3 or 3-2)-2 formation. And the sooner Bronze is replaced the better.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 12 Aug 2023, 11:18

Well, three of the quarter finals have finished now. Spain have beaten the Netherlands, Sweden have beaten Japan and Australia have just beaten France on penalties.

I have got the result wrong in every match! I thought France were nailed on to win the tournament.
cromwell

Next

Return to The Shed