Ossie's Pre-Season Friendlies

For the chaps here

Ossie's Pre-Season Friendlies

Postby TheOstrich » 30 Jul 2023, 23:58

A short note on the Ostrich’s warm-up games for the forthcoming 2023/24 season! :D

The bird has managed to attend six fixtures in July, and there would have been a couple more if two Saturday afternoons hadn’t been lost to inclement weather - the first (July 8th) due to high winds that toppled my tomato plants :evil: , thankfully all rescued without too much damage, and the second (July 15th) when it was chucking it down and my planned game at Baltonsborough (sort of near Glastonbury, to save you getting out your SatNavs 8-) ) was moved to a 3G pitch in Street which I’d already visited pre-Covid.

Anyway, first up were old favourites Glastonbury themselves, who can usually be relied upon to arrange an interesting friendly or two. The opposition was Tor FC, from the same town, so a local derby, and whilst not perhaps on the same level as Man U versus Man C :mrgreen: , it did attract 95 spectators. Tor are a Yeovil & District League side, so at least three levels below Somerset County League side Glasto, but they gave a very good account of themselves before losing 3-0. It was a high tempo affair but with more enthusiasm than skill; a few robust challenges on the field but the game was played in a good spirit throughout.

Glastonbury (the “Dollies”) used to be a Western League side up until 1999. but have very much fallen down the pyramid since: however. they still play at the old redundant greyhound stadium on the edge of the Somerset wetlands, so it’s a “proper” enclosed ground with a stand, veranda-ed clubhouse / bar and floodlights, which looked quite functional, and plenty of parking capacity. I relieved the barman of a Snickers bar and a packet of crisps (£2) - not a lot was on offer on the day, unfortunately. :(

Next up was a trip to New Cuthbury, Wimborne Town’s new stadium. I liked Wimborne’s old ground - this new one, although obviously a huge improvement with regard to facilities - is just a little bit clinical for my taste; all corporate grey and white and prefabricated metal sheeting :| . That said, the clubhouse is bright and spacious, the two main stands (with a total of around 250 seats) give good views, and there’s plenty of covered standing behind the two goals. The whizzy electronic scoreboard with a game clock is a nice addition 8-) , and would have been even better if they’d remembered to start it running at the start of the second half and not a couple of minutes in :roll: ! The refreshment kiosk at the north end of the clubhouse offered teas, coffees, ice-creams, and exceedingly large sausage rolls :shock: , but I settled for a packet of Pipers cheese ‘n onion crisps from the bar £1.20.

Another issue with this new ground is that there’s only one road in and out of it. A huge housing estate is going up alongside the B3073 Ringwood road east of the town centre called Quarter Jack Park, and I believe the funding for the new “community” stadium was partly from section 106 money, a sort of bribe housing developers have to pay to get planning permission. There appears at first sight to be plenty of parking in front of the long, single-storey red-brick clubhouse when you get to the ground itself, but it quickly filled up, so people were parking on the verge which narrowed the roadway and I overheard that things got a bit heated prior to kickoff :twisted: .

The visitors were Weymouth (one league higher than Wimborne) and this (sort of) Dorset grudge match :P attracted a good crowd of 387. Goalless at half-time, Weymouth brought on several young players, including one Joel Rollinson and berlimey he was good :shock: ! Playing as an attacking left-winger, it only took him three minutes to get into the penalty area where he was chopped down at the third attempt :lol: for a cast-iron penalty, converted by captain Tom Bearwish. Weymouth added two more in the second half for a comfortable 3-0, or so we thought, until Wimborne somehow scored twice in the last three minutes, which I think might have led to an interesting discussion in the Weymouth dressing room after the match! :mrgreen:

Game 3 (Gawd help me) was an evening trip and a first visit to Holt United :roll: . Dorset Premier League Holt United play at Gaunts Common, which is in the middle of nowhere somewhere near Verwood. My heart sank when Google Maps directed me to go “via Witchampton”, because when I elected to go see Witchampton FC play backalong, not only couldn’t I find the ground in Witchampton, I couldn’t even find blinkin’ Witchampton itself :o ! All the signposts appeared contradictory, and I finished up that particular afternoon actually navigating by the sun :lol: ! So, Gaunts Common is not the easiest of places to get at if you’re coming from North Dorset, but others seem to have found it OK as the car-park was rammed to capacity when I arrived 45 minutes before the start! :shock:

There’s a small clubhouse and bar at the back of the carpark, which runs behind one goal, and when you access the pitch, you go past a pay-station hut - this is the first sign that “The Bulls” have ambitions to climb the pyramid up into the Wessex League. Holt won the Dorset Premier League (Step 7) last season, but failed the ground grading. So, a new stand is in the offing to be placed down one touchline; in fact, wandering around there, I could see some rudimentary work had taken place - a number of bright, shiny steel anchoring bolts were set in concrete squares. On the other side of the pitch, the brick-built dug-outs have a covered spectator’s section between them with a bench seat, and back behind the near goal, a covered seated stand already exists - admittedly with only 16 plastic buckets. And of course they’ll need floodlights and additional fencing to fully enclose the ground and keep the coos out. :lol:

The visitors were Wessex League Portland United and Holt took the game to them from the start, although it was all a bit scrappy stuff. Portland led 0-1 at the interval, but the Bulls deservedly equalised on 60m. Just when we thought that would be it, we had a burst of 4 goals in 8 minutes, and the final score of 3-3 was eminently fair!

Driving back from Gaunts Common as the skies darkened, I was amazed at the number of Dorset drivers bumbling around with no lights on, including on the main Blandford road! Takes all sorts, I guess .... :?

I’ll report on games 4, 5 and 6 hopefully sometime next week! :D
TheOstrich

Re: Ossie's Pre-Season Friendlies

Postby Kaz » 03 Aug 2023, 16:34

Thanks Ossie :D Well done on resisting the sausage roll :lol:
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 04 Aug 2023, 00:00

Cheers, Kaz :D - it must be said, though, that the bird is not a great sausage roll fan ..... :oops:

To complete the pre-season round-up:

So next up was a trip to Codford St. Mary to visit Heytesbury’s new ground. Heytesbury have featured quite a few times in Ossie’s reports in the past; they played at a lovely setting in the village, but it seems that the owners of the land (which includes the village cricket pitch) have made it known that they want to sell up :| - I’m not surprised in a way because it would be classified as a prime housing development in this up-market Wiltshire location. So, with an eye on the future, Heytesbury FC have renamed themselves Heytesbury & Codford FC and the first team has decamped a few miles down the A36 to the Codford Recreation Ground. :D

Codford, like Heytesbury, is lucky to have a bypass for the A36 major trunk road, so it’s a quiet haven. Interestingly, the village also has its own 100-seat theatre! :shock:
http://thewoolstoretheatre.org.uk/
You can buy tickets at the local Post Office.

The recreation ground also incorporates the Village Hall, where a yoga class was in session when I arrived, and the bar was open. Unfortunately, the barman was a bit surly :P and definitely not a good advert for the place - the locals weren’t much better and overall, the atmosphere was unfortunately a bit rural Appalachian :? :lol: . Rather a shame. I settled for a Yorkie bar for 95p and didn’t bother troubling them further.

As for the game, the youngsters of Calne Town’s Development squad took on the home team and roundly defeated them 1-5, the result a fair reflection of the former’s superior fitness and technique. The first goal came after just 2m when Calne’s no.8 spectacularly lobbed the home side’s gargantuan keeper from 30 yards; the latter could only watch the ball loop over his head and into the net. Heytesbury held out until half-time but the floodgates opened in the second half.
Again, at least three drivers without lights were encountered on the return trip, including one SUV that pulled out of the car park of the George Inn at Longbridge Deverill; I followed him (slowly) all the way until he turned off into his drive at Hill Deverill a couple of miles later! :| And I got back to town to find the flippin’ chippie had closed at 9:00 ….. :evil:

Game 5 involved another new ground visit, an evening trip to Evercreech, near Shepton Mallet, where Yeovil & District League side Evercreech Sports hosted newly-formed Lydford FC, who will feature in the same division this coming season.
Weston Town Sports Field lies on the south-west side of the village; the entrance is on the right just after the 30mph signs as you approach from Castle Cary. A long rutted track winds round to a great white whale of a sports pavilion / events venue which was all locked up tonight, bar the changing rooms. There’s an older wooden pavilion alongside, boarded up, which is probably now used as a store, but each has a veranda which would be useful cover in inclement weather, because the location is completely open to elements and given the wind, it was decidedly parky on the night :| .

There’s room for at least four pitches side-by-side in front of the pavilion but only one was marked out as such. The “pitch” on the far left actually sported dilapidated rugby posts but I doubt that game has been played here for many years. As for the match, this was a hard-fought contest between two teams who scrapped away like terriers :D - neither side was given the time or space to develop anything resembling a move. Lydford employed a kamikaze defence at times; Evercreech often appeared wasteful. Two goals from the home side on 10m and 19m set the scene, the away keeper being beaten to a loose ball on both occasions, and Evercreech eventually ran out 3-1 winners. A fair result on the night.

Last Saturday saw the Ostrich at the RayMac Stadium, home of Salisbury FC, which is out-of-town near the Old Sarum hill-fort and airfield. The visitors, Hampton & Richmond Borough, will be in Yeovil Town’s league this season, and they brought a full squad - and this was a very competitive game. It was a goalless first half, but an entertaining one with both sides playing positive football, once the Salisbury back four had got over their predilection to play everything back to the keeper :roll: . The home team exploited the wings and got numerous crosses over into the box, but they lacked someone to put the half-chances away, and the away keeper was on excellent form, pulling off at least one acrobatic save down by the post. At the other end, Hampton were also creating chances, the Salisbury keeper very lucky when a close-range bullet header was directed straight into his arms.

Hampton upped their game after the interval and notched two goals in quick succession. On 51m, Deanfield clipped the ball into the box from a short corner - it evaded all comers and bounced in off the far post. Seven minutes later Gray chased a long ball through the middle and managed to hook it past the keeper, injuring himself in the process. Salisbury were still creating chances, Lewis lofting the ball over the bar when he should have done better, but Hampton were sharper in the tackle now and rode out the game for a deserved victory.

Admission was just £5 (a “special offer”) but on the other hand, the cheeseburgers here are now priced at an eye-watering £6 each :o . I settled for a portion of chips for £3; the quantity was ok, but the quality left a lot to be desired :| .

Finally, a bonus game last Tuesday evening! :D Frome Collegians FC, one of my "go-to" Wiltshire Senior League clubs, hosted Bratton and defeated them 2-1, very much run-of-the-mill and not a game that will live long in the memory. The Selwood Academy School, which is adjacent to Collegians' ground and usually allow match-day parking, had dug trenches in their car park yet again :roll: so I was forced to decamp down the road to the Old Show Ground, park by the cricket pitch, sucessfully avoid getting entangled with the ladies from Slimming World meeting at the pavilion there (this Ostrich is not for weighing! :oops: :lol: :mrgreen: ), and walk back up the hill to the Collegians’ pitch. The good news, however, was that I made it back to town for 9:04 and the chippie was still open, so a £3.20 bag of chips was duly acquired :Hi: - of infinitesimal better taste than Salisbury’s awful effort! :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 04 Aug 2023, 12:49

Ossie, one can definitely hear quiet banjo music in the background in some of these out of the way places……. :? ;) :lol: :lol:

Another entertaining read, thank you! :D
Kaz

Postby JoM » 04 Aug 2023, 13:06

Blimey you’ve been busy! Glad you have though as that’s been a great read!

Good news about Hednesford being able to play again this season.

There’s a preseason friendly at Old Trafford tomorrow, decided we weren’t going to bother (there’s only been two UK preseason games with the other being a 2pm kick off on a Wednesday afternoon in Edinburgh) and I’ve got a terrible feeling of FOMO now :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Return to The Shed