Pre season friendlies

For the chaps here

Pre season friendlies

Postby victor » 03 Aug 2023, 08:56

Are they really worth it?
Arsenal losing one of their best players .
victor

Re: Pre season friendlies

Postby TheOstrich » 03 Aug 2023, 15:16

Are they worth it? Oh yes, I think so, Vic, they allow squads to try out different tactics / formations, different players and triallists, complement pre-season training by building match sharpness, stamina and endurance, so on. The latter criteria are certainly important judging by the number of players I've seen in July who have obviously been involved in Pie-Eating contests over the seasonal break. :roll: :lol:

You're only smarting 'cos Pompey lost 0-1 to Bristol City last Saturday ..... :cute: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P

Can't comment on Arsenal, I'm afraid, they're not exaxctly in my orbit! I'll leave that to others better informed than me ..... :D
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 04 Aug 2023, 12:47

They are a worthwhile exercise, I’ve watched a few recently and 11 subs are made at half time, for the reasons Ossie mentioned.
What I don’t like about them though is that they’ve now become a money making exercise for a lot of teams and longhaul travel also has to be factored in as well as having to get up to speed after a month or so off. Man Utd have just come back from the US, they played on the east coast, west coast and a bit in the middle. Players have commented about how tiring the traveling has been.

I do take your point though Vic, we’ve got two young lads who look ready to break into the first team - Amad Diallo and Kobbie Mainoo - and both have been injured during games and are now out for the first part of the season.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 12 Aug 2023, 14:00

The problem with the youngsters is that they are, well young!!!!

They start in a friendly, so keen to impress, over do it and injure themselves. Far far better to use them as subs, towards the end of game.

Our new goalie Slicker from Man City looks good though especially as our number 1 goalie is out for several months with a plantar fascia injury
miasmum

Return to The Shed