A National stadium is needed in the North.

For the chaps here

A National stadium is needed in the North.

Postby Workingman » 22 Feb 2024, 11:15

So says Jim Ratcliffe.

A clever move by him. He knows that the tenement that is Old Trafford needs pulling down so the new Old Trafford will also become the 'National Stadium in the North'.

He pulls the old one down and the FA stumps up part of the cash for the new one under the guise that it will also be a 'National' stadium.

Total ball cocks. What the FA needs to do is play internationals around the country, as is done in many other places in Europe. It will never happen though because the FA has invested so much in Wembley and the suits will not like having to go to St. James' Park, Villa Park or even a new Old Scaffold etc.
Workingman

Re: A National stadium is needed in the North.

Postby cromwell » 22 Feb 2024, 14:09

I went to see England V Italy in around 2000, I think, at Elland Road. Great night, great match, great atmosphere.
This was when the old Wembley had been demolished and they were building the new one.
There is no need for Wembley imo.
But if there is any national stadium it should have been built in the Midlands, easier for everyone to get to.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: A National stadium is needed in the North.

Postby JoM » 23 Feb 2024, 19:58

The national stadium should’ve been built in the Midlands, near the NEC for road, rail and air connections, and that is a hill I will die on.

We went to Wembley three times last season, and two of those games involved teams both from the North. The logistics of getting back afterwards was a nightmare. Games finished at 6/6.30ish and on the first two occasions we made it to Euston with a few minutes to spare for a train just after 9pm. The third time we drove and paid £40 for the privilege of parking at Wembley, although even after factoring in fuel it worked out cheaper than taking the train and tube and was much less stressful.

I totally agree that internationals, and cup semi finals, should be played around the country but it all comes down to money doesn’t it. The FA aren’t going to want a meagre profit from a sell out match at 43000 capacity Villa Park when they can sell sell 90000 seats at Wembley (and don’t get me started on the £20 Joe spent on a substandard hotdog and a warm 330ml can of Heineken).

As for a new Old Trafford, it seems the majority of us match goers don’t want a shiny new stadium. We’d rather have a refurb.
It wouldn’t be any easier to get to than Wembley due to the fact it’s in a built up area, the local roads and the tram network struggle on match days.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Return to The Shed