British Grand Prix

For the chaps here

British Grand Prix

Postby miasmum » 30 Jun 2013, 09:51

Well Alonso has voiced what we are all thinking about the tyres.

Really pleased for Lewis, wish Mark could've out qualified Seb and wish Jens and the Saubers had done better
miasmum

Re: British Grand Prix

Postby Workingman » 30 Jun 2013, 14:56

What a mess, what an utter bloody mess!

There was a time when I thought that Charlie might call the whole thing off for safety reasons. This tyre business need sorting out PDQ or I can see Pirelli pulling out at the end of the season. The PR department must be fuming.

And why didn't Alonso get a penalty for an unsafe release. I have seen them given for lesser offences this season. :x :x :x

Anyway, rant over. Well done to Nico, but the drives of the day goes to Lewis. To get so close having had a tyre go on you, and seeing others suffer the same fate, shows real guts.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 30 Jun 2013, 15:04

Yup. Hamilton, Massa, Vergne, Perez all had left rear tyre failures, Guitierrez had a left front go. Terrible. Pirelli are lucky that someone hasn't been seriously injured or worse.
Good drives from Webber and Hamilton, but how lucky is Alonso? Hamilton and Massa were ahead of him and both had tyre failure, as did Perez, and Vettel's car broke. Four places gained without having to make a pass.
Renault really screwed up with Raikkonen as well. They didn't call him in under the last safety car and on worn tyres he went from second to fifth in a few laps. He will not be happy.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 30 Jun 2013, 23:41

I was thinking just red flag the whole flipping race, but then what about the fans and they are the most important ones in all this, please don't forget that. They are where the money comes from and Bernie wouldn't want to upset them,

I would have been pleased with either Nico or Mark winning, but would have liked to have seen Lewis on the podium too.

I thought it was interesting when interviewed afterwards and Lewis complained about the tyres and the interviewer said "will you speak to the FIA or Pirelli?" Lewis said 'there is no point in speaking to anyone, they don't listen, but if nothing gets done after this it says it all" When they mentioned that to Ross Brawn his comments were "we need to discuss it carefully, no one is sure at the moment what the problem is and we don't want to say anything until we are sure" as he shuffled off to get back into bed with the boss of Pirelli :roll: :roll:
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 01 Jul 2013, 09:22

Pirelli are in a bit of a cleft stick.

In the last years of the Bridgestones the tyres were nearly indestructible, and with DRS unheard of and KERS in its infancy the racing was deemed to be boring.

In come Pirelli who were contracted to make four different dry weather compounds, none of which would do much more than a third of the distance except under special conditions. It is a task that looks more difficult in practice than it does on paper.

What must be worrying the drivers and team bosses is the safety aspect. Yesterday was lucky in that the blow-outs were on straight or straightish parts of the circuit. Things could have been very different, lethal even, if they had gone at the apex of Copse or in the Maggotts/Becketts complex.
Workingman

Return to The Shed