Moyes to be sacked?

For the chaps here

Moyes to be sacked?

Postby Rodo » 21 Apr 2014, 16:46

The papers reckon that Moyes is to be sacked at weekend.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... er-3438787

Such a pity because he was a fine manager at PNE and also at Everton.

They would do better to sack some of the ManU players I think.
Rodo

Re: Moyes to be sacked?

Postby Workingman » 21 Apr 2014, 17:25

I remember Fergie having a tough time when he took over and many of us who didn't support them praying that he would be sacked..... We knew, we just knew.

Moyes is not in the same league as SAF, but he took over a team on the slide and has kept them in a safe place. History is littered with good men failing (relatively) when following on from great ones..... it could have been much worse.

If the slide continues next year I might get a beer or two in. :D :D :D
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 21 Apr 2014, 19:38

The Man U squad may have won the title last year, but they were a team declining in their powers.

Moyes is in the same place now as Wilf McGuiness was 40 years since when he replaced Matt Busby, and for the same reasons.

He was always on a loser when he took over, and maybe the job is too big for him. If Man U want to stay at the level of getting to finals in the Champions League, you need top, top players and increasingly, they don't have them. It could take many years and a lot of money to rebuild the team, and paying £25 million for Marouanne Fellaini wasn't a good start, because he's not up to that mark.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 21 Apr 2014, 20:11

Yes, this was discussed by the ground-hopping fraternity at the non-league game I attended this afternoon, and the general consensus was that no tears would be shed for Manchester United.
TheOstrich

Postby Rodo » 22 Apr 2014, 07:57

Saw this on another forum -

First 31 games in charge

Moyes Ferguson

18 wins 12 wins
6 draws 10 draws
7 losses 9 losses
Rodo

Postby Rodo » 22 Apr 2014, 09:12

Well the deed has been done. I saw this in the Independent. Very interesting I thought -

The decision to get rid of the 50-year-old was discussed and possibly ratified at a recent United board meeting but there is a financial motive behind delaying removing him until now.

The mathematical impossibility of United finishing in the top four this season, following their 11th Premier League defeat of the season at Goodison Park on Sunday, means that United need only give Moyes a one-year pay-off under the terms of his five-year deal, rather than honour the full four years left on that contract. Ryan Giggs could then take over as caretaker manager for the final four games of the season
Rodo

Postby tonicha » 22 Apr 2014, 10:39

Should have given the bloke a bit more of a chance - I suppose. Crafty way of doing the financial side of it.

Being a Liverpool supporter, I know what the fans feel like - we had similar for years.

Now who will they get as a new manager? And who would want it?
tonicha

Postby Rodo » 22 Apr 2014, 10:46

Good question - who will want it. I believe Van Klopp has said No.
Rodo

Postby cromwell » 22 Apr 2014, 12:50

An experienced manager might be able to stop the slide; on the other hand they might want to go for someone young and ambitious, like Liverpool did with Rodgers.

Man U's best players though, tend to be the older and more injured ones. Van Persie is over 30, Rooney is 28, Michael Carrick is 32, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra are all past 30, Ferdinand well past.

The younger players (Janusajz apart) don't look good enough. Smalling, Jonny Evans, Tom Cleverley, Buttner etc aren't as good as those players they are meant to replace.

Also, good players don't tend to want to leave a team on the up. Rooney wanted to leave last season, Hernandez wants to leave, Van Persie is rumoured to be unhappy, Vidic is going to Inter Milan, which is a sign that things aren't well.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 22 Apr 2014, 15:27

Earlier on in the season - transfer window time - the likes of Keane and Hansen were saying that between five and seven players were needed. They were probably looking at Cromwell's roll-call and putting two and two together....they got Mata.

The Glazers are said to be willing to put up £150m to rebuild. Ha!

Those leaving, if they can be sold, will only be worth peanuts, and young stars lined up to come in might look at the squad and think that there are better options elsewhere.
Workingman

Next

Return to The Shed