Penalty shoot-outs

For the chaps here

Penalty shoot-outs

Postby TheOstrich » 13 May 2015, 00:44

In all my umpteen years of watching live soccer, I've never actually seen a penalty shoot-out. The closest I've ever been to one was a cup-tie settled by a 120th minute own goal in extra time. :lol:

However last Sunday - well ..... I got to see my first one. But somewhat unexpectedly, in rugby union!

The North Midlands Finals were played at Dudley Kingswinford RUFC. There were 6 games in all involving 12 teams, starting at 11:15 in the morning, and I reckon there was a crowd of around 1,000 in attendance. The bar was heaving throughout the day and the food ran out around 1:00 .... :shock:

The first pair of games played included the rather prosaically named Vase Plate Final for junior clubs, in which Redditch took on Church Stretton, and after 80 minutes the scores were level at 12-12. Right at the death, Redditch had had a 25 yard penalty attempt which agonisingly drifted just wide of the far post. So – extra time of 10 minutes each way, in theory, so we all thought, but no. We’d had two lengthy injury delays to Redditch players and the organisers were getting jumpy that we wouldn’t be finished in time for (a) the presentations in front of the clubhouse followed by (b) the scheduled 13:30 kick-offs of the next pair of cup final games, so it was agreed that we go straight to penalties!

Penalty kicks taken from the 20 yard line and central …... and it was all over very quickly!

Roan Kirby for Church Stretton: first kick wide to the left :oops:
Josh Holt for Redditch: straight through the middle 8-)

Cue much rejoicing by Redditch! :lol:
TheOstrich

Re: Penalty shoot-outs

Postby Workingman » 13 May 2015, 20:43

Never heard of a penalty shoot out in rugby.

The nearest I ever came to anything like was when my BIL at the time was playing for W. Park over 40s against Leos over 40s. All square at full time so an extra 10 each way. All square again so another extra 10. All square again so another 10, by which time it had become a walking match! :shock: When that ended all square there was a gentleman's agreement for each team to hold the cup for six months. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Return to The Shed