What are we reading in February?

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

Re: What are we reading in February?

Postby Osc » 16 Feb 2013, 13:43

I'm reading Maeve Binchy's last book A Week in Winter, she just about finished writing it before she passed away.....it's terribly disappointing and the only reason why I'm sticking with it is because my brain is very sluggish after the flu and it's about all I can manage.
Osc

Postby miasmum » 16 Feb 2013, 16:07

I am reading a self help book They F**k You Up by Oliver James, the title is based on the Philip Larkin poem. It is about how your first 6 years influence the person you are now. The introduction really made sense to me and I was looking forward to reading it, but it is becoming a bit repetitive and I am struggling to find bits that I can relate to. It talks a lot about the importance of where you fit in the sibling order and how you perceive the treatment of your siblings compared to you. As an only child most of that is not relevant. He is also very interested in schizophrenia, which again has no relevance nor interest to me

I might start skimming it, as I have a Susan Lewis to read instead :lol: (so much for self help)
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 16 Feb 2013, 17:31

I know the poem Shell ;) xxxxxxx

Still not started The Sunne in Splendour yet................been finishing Moley..................but am hoping to this weekend :D
Kaz

Postby Aggers » 16 Feb 2013, 23:48

I know the poem, too, but I wouldn't care to recite it.

I'm reading an unusual book now - Akenfield by Ronald Blythe. It's about a village and the various people
who live there. It's based on a real village somewhere. It's the sort of book you can open at random and find it
interesting. I don't seem to find much time for reading lately, so this sort of book fits the bill nicely.

This colourful, perceptive portrayal of English country life reverberates with the voices of the village inhabitants, from the reminiscences of survivors of the Great War evoking days gone by, to the concerns of a younger generation of farm-workers and the fascinating and personal recollections of, among others, the local schoolteacher, doctor, blacksmith, saddler, district nurse and magistrate. Providing insights into farming, education, welfare, class, religion and death, Akenfield forms a unique document of a way of life that has, in many ways, disappeared.
Aggers

Postby Paddypix » 17 Feb 2013, 20:31

I'm reading The Doctor's Wife by Brian Moore, a novelist who grew up in Belfast. This one was a Kindle Daily Deal and was written in 1976. Since I know so many of the places in Belfast that he mentions I'm enjoying it, and I remember the attitudes of the day and the political situation at the time it was written.
Paddypix

Postby JoM » 19 Feb 2013, 11:54

I finished Jane Yeadon's It Won't Hurt A Bit, it was quite interesting. Then I started Thursdays in The Park by Hilary Boyd, it was a gentle and predictable read and I can't complain as it was, and still is, a Kindle 20p book.

I started another last night but can't remember what it was now!

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Diflower » 19 Feb 2013, 12:10

I read that one Jo, as you say for 20p it was fine, I pay more than that in charity shops!
Diflower

Postby debih » 19 Feb 2013, 13:51

I finished Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling and after a slow start really enjoyed it.

Last night I started The Kingmakrrs Daughter by Philippa Gregory. I can't put it down!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby JoM » 19 Feb 2013, 14:28

Diflower wrote:I read that one Jo, as you say for 20p it was fine, I pay more than that in charity shops!

Crazy isn't it? I've seen that book in the Top 20 section in Asda whilst it's been 20p on Amazon!

Unsuitable Men by Pippa Wright is what I'm reading now.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby kathy22 » 20 Feb 2013, 19:00

I have just started on the Honey Queen by Cathy Kelly. Enjoying it so far.

Kathy 22
kathy22

PreviousNext

Return to The Library