Baubles

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Baubles

Postby Lozzles » 03 Dec 2012, 21:16

Christmas baubles (yes, this is a jolly Christmas thread :D )...how old are your baubles? Have they come down through the family or have you bought your own?

We mainly have red, green and silver ones which we bought when we were first married. We were going for an 80's minimalist look :lol:
I would now love some more fancy ones, like we had in the 60's and 70's of my childhood :D
Lozzles

Re: Baubles

Postby Workingman » 03 Dec 2012, 21:25

My baubles are my concern, and they are as old as I am. They sort of came down from the family. :shock:

Oh, you mean the tree decorations. We, well my sister, still have three birds. They are green and gold glass with white feather tails and spring clips as legs. They were handed down from Grandma and get the most prominent place on the front of her tree.

They are treated with kid gloves and have their own special box for their long hibernation.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 03 Dec 2012, 21:30

All brand new this year - those huge ones you can get in gold purple and silver. Although I do have some I bought last Christmas at work that are very pretty, so I might sneak those on somewhere :D
Kaz

Postby Lozzles » 03 Dec 2012, 21:33

They will look great in your new house Kaz :D
WM...you are rooood :D
Lozzles

Postby Paddypix » 03 Dec 2012, 22:30

Mine are a mixture, but mostly new. I still have a very bedraggled cardboard Santa made by younger son in school when he was about 5 and it goes on top of the tree every year. For several years I didn't have a tree at all but when my grandson came to stay one Christmas I started to have one again and it cheered the house up so much that I've continued with it every year since.
Paddypix

Postby miasmum » 03 Dec 2012, 22:30

My tree is a real memory tree, I still have things Luke made at school, a bauble that says Baby Luke's First Christmas that his uncle and Aunty bought him. A couple of bits we have bought on holidays, and friends have bought me a couple of bits. Some baubles that were my mums and my little nativity stable that my dad bought me when he went to work away and I was 9.

I do buy new bits as well, but couldn't bear to part with any of it. I love looking and remembering when I put it up.
miasmum

Postby JoM » 03 Dec 2012, 22:46

We have two trees, the one in the middle floor living room is decorated in shiny gold and glittery gold ornaments. The one in the downstairs living room will, when the boys break up from school, be like Shell's...a memory tree. For now though it just has lights on it and some red glittery 'icicles' which I've just bought in Tesco. That is the room where Billy waits and watches when I go out and he's home alone and for his own safety and the safety of my ornaments I don't want to risk putting anything with sentimental value on there until the boys break up and there's always someone around.
I have decorations which my parents bought when they were first married (they'll have been married for 57 years in March), some which my Grandparents bought for me in the early 70s, Tom and Joe's Baby's 1st Christmas ornaments still go on, I have ornaments which were given as gifts from friends, ones which we've bought when on holiday and ones which the boys have made at school.
JoM

Postby Lozzles » 03 Dec 2012, 23:21

There are a lot of memories tied up with the Christmas tree aren't there?
I think I might ask my mum for a couple of decorations from her tree to add to mine, just to have something of my childhood in my home :D
Lozzles

Postby Osc » 03 Dec 2012, 23:24

Ours is a real mixture - we have some from when we were first living together, the Christmas before we got married, we bought them in Woollies in Shepherds Bush. We've built up a collection over the years and some have been thrown out as they got too shabby or broken. We also have some that Miss Osc made, and we (well, I do) like to buy some when away. When Miss Osc moved into her own home with SIL I asked would she like to take some that she particularly liked, and I'm glad to say that she did take a few which appear on their tree every year.
Osc

Postby Aggers » 03 Dec 2012, 23:33

Workingman stole my answer. :lol:

Actually we gave all ours, with the tree, to a charity shop when we were down-sizing prior to moving into ouy retirement apartment. There just wouldn't have been to store them here. A shame, really, as we used to love our tree. We do have a few little decorations which will be seeing the light of day soon.
Aggers

Next

Return to Cafe