Ice cream maker

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Ice cream maker

Postby Diflower » 01 May 2013, 22:38

Ooh yes we like Mackies too, I only buy it on offer - Lidl sometimes have it ;)
Diflower

Postby Paddypix » 02 May 2013, 09:36

I only like the expensive commercial ice creams too and I think the secret is the cream rather than synthetic thickeners. We have a local chain of ice cream parlours called Mauds and theirs is delicious but expensive. http://www.mauds.co.uk/ Unfortunately our nearest branch is 20 yards from our front door so it is a battle of willpower not to visit too often.

Rodo, I've been Youtubing icecream recipes and many of them cook the custard before freezing it so the eggs would not be raw.
Paddypix

Postby Workingman » 02 May 2013, 09:52

What is wrong with raw eggs?

The heat needed to cook an all egg custard is not enough to kill salmonella. The yolks begin to coagulate long before the temp needed to kill salmonella is reached. The whites cook at even lower temps.

Maybe it is a taste thing. I'll try both ways and see.
Workingman

Postby Osc » 02 May 2013, 15:29

Paddypix wrote: We have a local chain of ice cream parlours called Mauds and theirs is delicious but expensive. http://www.mauds.co.uk/

We have Mauds down here in Howth, Paddy, and our grandson regularly "suggests" a visit ;) It's cleverly located just across the road from the local playground! I love their Pooh Bears Delight icecream.
Osc

Postby Rodo » 02 May 2013, 15:38

Workingman wrote:What is wrong with raw eggs?

The heat needed to cook an all egg custard is not enough to kill salmonella. The yolks begin to coagulate long before the temp needed to kill salmonella is reached. The whites cook at even lower temps.

Maybe it is a taste thing. I'll try both ways and see.

My reason for not eating raw eggs is mainly because of salmonella. I'm old enough to remember the Edwina Currie incident too.
I don't eat raw eggs because I have an immune problem which runs in our family. I just have to be a little more careful than the norm.
Rodo

Postby Rodo » 02 May 2013, 15:41

Paddypix wrote:Rodo, I've been Youtubing icecream recipes and many of them cook the custard before freezing it so the eggs would not be raw.

Yes, the one I made (one in ten years!!!) was cooked and I have seen many recipes that cook the custard. I have also seen recipes that don't have eggs at all, though how they work I can't really see.
Rodo

Postby Workingman » 02 May 2013, 17:10

Rodo wrote:I don't eat raw eggs because I have an immune problem which runs in our family. I just have to be a little more careful than the norm.

Ah, that must cut out quite a lot of eggy things.

I remember Edwina's eggs as well. Everything cooked to within and inch of its life; hard eggs everywhere. :shock: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Rodo » 02 May 2013, 17:46

No, I don't have to do without eggs as such, just nothing with raw eggs. I do a nice Tiramisu which has no eggs and I don't use mayonnaise at all. Apart from that it's only things like mousse or similar.
Rodo

Postby miasmum » 02 May 2013, 17:54

We don't eat raw eggs, but my son and my nieces and nephews still got salmonella. My mother in law used to bring us eggs from a farm and you have no idea what they feed their flock on. To be fair most eggs now are from vaccinated stock, the ones in the supermarket are fine.
miasmum

Postby Paddypix » 02 May 2013, 21:01

Osc wrote:
Paddypix wrote: We have a local chain of ice cream parlours called Mauds and theirs is delicious but expensive. http://www.mauds.co.uk/

We have Mauds down here in Howth, Paddy, and our grandson regularly "suggests" a visit ;) It's cleverly located just across the road from the local playground! I love their Pooh Bears Delight icecream.

Osc, did you know that they now call it Poor Bear? The reason is that Disney threatened them with legal action for copyright infringement for calling their honeycomb icecream "Pooh Bear". It's amazing how petty and mean spirited giant corporations can be.

My icecream maker arrived today and I had a bit of a panic when I discovered that the inner bowl wouldn't fit in my freezer. I defrosted, which I'd been meaning to do for months, took out one of the drawers and it just goes in with nothing to spare. I've made up the custard and it's in the fridge waiting to be churned tomorrow. I'm starting with plain vanilla to see how it goes.
Paddypix

PreviousNext

Return to In The Kitchen