Rodo

Re: Ice cream maker

Postby lissie » 02 May 2013, 23:23

What about Aldi`s Rodo? Their vanilla ice cream is very good :D :D

lissie :D
lissie

Postby Paddypix » 03 May 2013, 17:36

debih wrote:Do you have the shortbread and blackcurrant recipe PP?

I made the icecream this morning before I went out and put it in the freezer. It scoops really well and is absolutely to die for. Just basic vanilla as a first attempt but I'll get more adventurous now that I know it works.

Debih, my son just uses a basic vanilla recipe of double cream, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract or seeds from a pod, then at the freshly churned stage when the icecream is still soft, he chops butter shortbread into half inch cubes, and stirs them in with two tablespoons of blackcurrant jam. It's that simple and delicious.
Paddypix

Postby Rodo » 03 May 2013, 17:40

Sounds delish GP.

Lissie, we tried that Aldi ice cream and didn't like it much.
I do like most of Aldi's stuff though.
Rodo

Postby debih » 03 May 2013, 22:13

Paddypix wrote:
debih wrote:Do you have the shortbread and blackcurrant recipe PP?

I made the icecream this morning before I went out and put it in the freezer. It scoops really well and is absolutely to die for. Just basic vanilla as a first attempt but I'll get more adventurous now that I know it works.

Debih, my son just uses a basic vanilla recipe of double cream, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract or seeds from a pod, then at the freshly churned stage when the icecream is still soft, he chops butter shortbread into half inch cubes, and stirs them in with two tablespoons of blackcurrant jam. It's that simple and delicious.

Thanks PP. I am going to give that a try. I need to find my ice cream maker out first though - it is at the bottom of the chest freezer.

I need to find a decent recipe for using up rhubarb. The girls aren't keen on it (rhubarb, not ice cream) and we always have an abundance. By the end of the season I start to look like a stick of rhubarb (but sadly not as slim as one).
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Paddypix » 03 May 2013, 22:16

Lozzles posted a lovely recipe for rhubarb crumble ice cream further up this thread Debih. It's on my list of must try ice creams.
Paddypix

Postby debih » 03 May 2013, 22:22

I will take a look back later. I knew I had seen one somewhere!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Rodo » 05 May 2013, 11:12

I got the ice cream maker out. I chopped two tins of peaches and put that with a tub of double cream, some caster sugar and some lemon juice and it is whirring away in there now. We will see what evolves!
Rodo

Postby Rodo » 05 May 2013, 11:40

Well I did it for 20 minutes like it said and it is still runny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rodo

Postby Paddypix » 05 May 2013, 22:14

It probably needs longer than 20 minutes Rodo, and even then is is soft and need to be decanted into a container and put in the freezer.

I tried frozen yogurt the other day and it didn't seem to thicken much. The problem was that I didn't put it in the freezer to complete the process. When I tried lemon sorbet, after 25 minutes it was still quite runny, but after a few hours in the freezer it had firmed up and was delicious. The ice cream makes churns it, incorporates lots of air thereby increasing the volume, but it does need a while in the freezer afterwards.
Paddypix

PreviousNext

Return to In The Kitchen