Election Result

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Election Result

Postby cruiser2 » 19 Jun 2024, 13:02

Two pensioners I know have said they are not voting.

Another pensioner who had always voted Tory says she is undecided.

I got my first leaflet today. It was from Labour. Will wait till I get the others before making a decision.

All the Manifestos have ben published but who reads them and what happens to them after the election?
cruiser2

Re: Election Result

Postby Workingman » 19 Jun 2024, 21:03

Anybody who is still a "don't know" should take a dice with them to the polling booth and give it a roll. Whaterver number comes up that's the one on the ballot paper to get the cross.

Either that or go NOTA as those votes get counted.

Anybody who does not vote can keep quiet for the whole parliament. They actively chose to be dumb on matters politic.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 20 Jun 2024, 11:06

I will vote, but without hope or enthusiasm.
All the mainstream parties seem to agree on just about everything, and most of what they agree on I don't like.
So I will vote outside the mainstream.
It won't make any difference anyway; this seat has been Labour since Adam was a lad and it always will be.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Suff » 20 Jun 2024, 14:16

Workingman wrote:Anybody who is still a "don't know" should take a dice with them to the polling booth and give it a roll. Whaterver number comes up that's the one on the ballot paper to get the cross.

Either that or go NOTA as those votes get counted.

Anybody who does not vote can keep quiet for the whole parliament. They actively chose to be dumb on matters politic.

I'm not registered to vote mainly because most of my life is lived outside the UK and I'm not one of those who complain that after 25 years living in a different country they should have a vote on UK elections and issues.

Hence I did not use my vote in Brexit. Even though I had it.

I do, however, have an opinion.... You know, now of those things you are entitled to.... :mrgreen:
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Kaz » 20 Jun 2024, 15:28

We've been moved to the Tewksbury constituency, where Labour don't have a chance in hell - so will be voting tactically.

I actually believe that voting should be compulsory, I believe it is in Australia for example. Anyone who doesn't vote is a disgrace to those who fought so hard for enfranchisement.
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 20 Jun 2024, 19:05

Not voting because you are not registered due to life circumstances, such as living abroad, is completely different from living here and being registered and not voting or not registering at all.

Not registering if you are eligible, unless you have reasons for not doing so, renders you a fine.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 20 Jun 2024, 20:01

Does it? :?

Well Becky is managing a postal vote, anyway.
Kaz

Postby JoM » 20 Jun 2024, 20:58

We’re also in a newly formed constituency which stretches from the north end of Wolverhampton right up to and including Stone.

Not sure even who is standing, we’ve only had a leaflet from Labour. I actually emailed their campaign office with a query about a policy mentioned on the leaflet seeing as they never bother to knock on doors but a week later I haven’t even had so much as an acknowledgment which doesn’t bode well.
At the centre of the Earth in the parking lot of the 7-11 where I was taught the motto was just a lie
It says "home is where your heart is" but what a shame 'cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same
It's beating out of time
JoM

Postby Workingman » 20 Jun 2024, 22:20

Kaz wrote:Does it? :?

Well Becky is managing a postal vote, anyway.

I was an expat three times, as Becky now is.

If I had already registered I got a postal vote, if not, it was no problem, and no fine... but if I was in the UK I had to register.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 20 Jun 2024, 23:31

I'm like Jo, a new constituency. The old one flip-flopped between the Cons and LibDems.

Tactical voting here - ABC. ;)
Workingman

Next

Return to News and Current Affairs