Smart meters

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Smart meters

Postby medsec222 » 28 Jun 2024, 12:35

I am beginning to feel a bit worn down by the constant pressure to instal a Smart meter. We are with EDF and before you can sign up to any of the new deal you have to have a Smart meter. My OH who pays the bill does not want a Smart meter, yet I feel discriminated against because we dont have a Smart meter.
medsec222

Re: Smart meters

Postby saundra » 28 Jun 2024, 13:51

I'm with Scottish power and i finally have in to there constant messages and if got a meter
I never look at it and I'm sure it's a con
I cant move to a new provider unless I have a smart meter
saundra

Postby Workingman » 28 Jun 2024, 14:35

Meds, as far as I am concerned Smart Meters and Direct Debits are the twin demons of the energy companies and I refuse to use either of them. I have told Scottish Power this endless times but still they push and push and push. I just delete or bin but I am sick of it all.

I am now looking into Octopus Energy as they appear to be the only one who will let me change without going on to a smart meter and will allow me to pay monthly by card, just as I do now. I can also stay on pre-payment for electricity (it's a landlord rule) so we will see.

I keep daily tallies of energy usage on spreadsheets so I always know how much gas and electricity I am using. The meters are right there in front of me every time I open the pantry door and I am always on the laptop so it's no big deal. I know that if I am cooking, using an appliance, have the CH on or the washing machine I am using energy. I do not need another gadget beeping and blinking at me and cluttering up my workspace. It's bad enough with the bloody mobile going of with every message and email.....

Saundra, arghhhh Scottish Power - me too! I'll let you know how things go with my Octopus research.
Workingman

Postby saundra » 28 Jun 2024, 14:44

Yes do WM
It was SP last message did It for me that my present
Meter was now obsolete sigh
saundra

Postby Workingman » 28 Jun 2024, 15:21

saundra wrote:Yes do WM
It was SP last message did It for me that my present
Meter was now obsolete sigh

Saundra I am sending you a PM.
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 28 Jun 2024, 16:56

I am with Octopus Energy,

According to my last statement I owed them. I am not going to increase my monthly payments. They are making huge profits.
I keep geting emails to say they are working in the area fitting Smart meters and I can make an appointment.
My delete button works overtime.

Lie WM I can read my meters even if they are not as convenient.
It is just a method for the energy companies to monitor and possibly control your usage and increase charges.
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 28 Jun 2024, 17:26

cruiser2 wrote:According to my last statement I owed them. I am not going to increase my monthly payments.

Cruiser, that's why I will not use Direct Debit.

After winter and in to spring you can be in debit, but over the summer months you get back in credit, sometimes a LOT of credit, so over the year it mostly evens out. However, and they all do it, they use a temporary debit to justify an increase of your payments.

As for the emails... somewhere near the bottom of them you should find an "unsubscribe" link - use it. You might have to do it a few times as the emails come from different departments, but eventually they will decrease to a trickle. They won't disappear completely but you can control them.
Workingman

Return to News and Current Affairs