Junk Food TV ad ban.

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: Junk Food TV ad ban.

Postby Kaz » 15 Sep 2024, 17:46

It won’t make any difference whatsoever - people will still buy exactly what they want.
Kaz

Postby Suff » 16 Sep 2024, 18:31

What I am missing from the list is High Fructose Corn Syrup. This UC lecture is well worth watching.

https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

In general the whole thing is preachy and contrived. Yes this stuff is bad, yes it tastes good, yes it is easy to get and quick to consume.

Once they have done this they could then move onto banning all drugs, recreational or not and alcohol. That would save the UK a small fortune.

But how about the hard decisions like the family that decides to go ahead with the birth of a child who is never going to be anything other than totally dependent for whatever reason. Eventually the parents die and the NHS has to take over. It costs the NHS billions every year. At what level does the government interfere in our lives and tell us what we should, or should not, do because it might cost the NHS more than they want to pay.

In the end we pay for the NHS and so we pay for the service we are going to get. It is up to the government to make that as efficient as possible and not so much to tell us to restrict our lives so we don't have to use the health system we pay for.

It is a total minefield and nannying people will bring out all sorts of reactions.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 16 Sep 2024, 22:17

The government is only banning the advertising and not the "things", they are still available to all and sundry; and there's the problem. Junk 'food' is everywhere, in supermarkets, convenience stores, petrol stations, bus and rail stations, shopping malls, airports and just about any shop you go in to. Many of us can, and do, buy it. It needs no advertising.

The bottom line is that we (in general) cannot be trusted to make decent choices so things might have to be banned. It has been tried with drugs, smoking, speeding, no seat belts, drink and drug driving, rape and murder. I have no problem with some bans as we all pay in some way for the bad choices some people make.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 17 Sep 2024, 20:28

It starts with advertising. The logical conclusion is that if your ban on advertising doesn't reduce the consumption, then you move on to banning the thing.

I certainly can't be trusted with fast food or carbs. Pizza, the body expanding heaven, lots of carbs covered in lots of fat with a bit of protein mixed in. I love Pizza especially deep dish which is twice as bad.

Sitting here contemplating having my next jab today instead of tomorrow as I'm hungry.... Or I might have a tin of sardines instead. Essentially zero junk food in the house, Mrs S is being good to me.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 17 Sep 2024, 23:47

Suff wrote:It starts with advertising.

No it does not. Things like Cadbury's Dairy Milk, Mr Kipling cakes, Walkers crisps, Rowntree's fruit pastilles, Lion bars, Jammy Dodgers, do not need advertising. They have always been there.

Availability will always be the problem.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 18 Sep 2024, 14:53

Workingman wrote:
Suff wrote:It starts with advertising.

No it does not. Things like Cadbury's Dairy Milk, Mr Kipling cakes, Walkers crisps, Rowntree's fruit pastilles, Lion bars, Jammy Dodgers, do not need advertising. They have always been there.

Availability will always be the problem.

They advertise because if they don't they will fall out of the public eye because everyone else advertises. The biggest thing that Cadbury's have done to stop me eating their product, post the Hershey take over, is to change the formula on the cream eggs. It's disgusting and even the chance of finding a white one worth £1,000 is not tempting me to ever have one again.

So they advertise to drive sales.
Suff

Previous

Return to News and Current Affairs