Warning: Microsoft email accounts Outlook, Hotmail and Live.

For all those techno questions

Warning: Microsoft email accounts Outlook, Hotmail and Live.

Postby Workingman » 26 Sep 2024, 13:56

I have an email from Microsoft informing me that I can no longer access or download my emails through third party email clients unless they are authorised by Microsoft using its modern authentication methods. The only ways to access / download them will be to go online (no download) or use the almost useless free stripped down Outlook mail and calendar app (phone and computer) or buy the newer Office 365 suite.

This all smacks of Microsoft wanting to take total control so I have to consider cancelling my Microsoft Live account or just not bother with it anymore. I normally just delete all the rubbish that comes in on that account but from now on it will just sit on Microsoft's servers taking up space.

My fear about cancelling the account is that I might lose access to "things" Microsoft on my laptop as everything they do seems to be tied to registration of some sort with them.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Workingman

Re: Warning: Microsoft email accounts Outlook, Hotmail and L

Postby TheOstrich » 26 Sep 2024, 15:12

I think we were warned this was going to happen back in July. I started a thread back then.

I can no longer access my live . co . uk (Microsoft) email accounts on my 2016 Nokia, but I can still get them on my desktop and iPhone.
"imap-mail.outlook.com is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail Settings"

Foolishly, I deleted the account from the phone and tried to re-install it, thinking it was an upgrade problem. Now I can't re-register it.
I think, at the end of the day, I'm going to have to upgrade the phone sometime as it doesn't meet Microsaft's "needs".
I'm not the only one to lose email access to Microsoft emails judging by the latest messages on the Microsoft Community forum.
TheOstrich

Re: Warning: Microsoft email accounts Outlook, Hotmail and L

Postby Workingman » 26 Sep 2024, 16:20

Ossie, if you have the Internet you can still read emails on Outlook.com online or via the [Cr]app, but you cannot download, 3g and above works so no need for a new phone.

The delete / reinstall option was Microsoft's advice, I have the email... but it doesn't work for many of us!!! I have read the blogs. Some independent clients find registration for Microsoft's 'MAM' too expensive. :shock:

Mozilla's Thunderbird seems to have cracked it, might be worth a try. It is available for Android and iPhones and it is regularly updated.
Workingman

Return to Computers etc