Cake making help

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Cake making help

Postby debih » 29 Jun 2013, 13:43

I am after help and inspiration.

L's birthday is on 20th July (as her friend L's) and it also happens to be the day of our village street party. I was looking at buying a cake for them both from Costco but I can't find their celebration cakes on line so am debating about making one instead.

My friend makes wonderful big birthday cakes so I am going to get the low down from her on the size of tin I want (I will probably use a roasting tin) and the quantities - although if anyone knows please let me know!

I am not sure about decorating it though. I was contemplating using butter icing and slathering it all over and just shoving a few candles in. Or would I be better with fondant and rolling it out and covering it and then piping it. I don't want to try for anything too dramatic as I would hate for the two L's to be disappointed at something that looks like a dogs dinner! And I also don't want to spend an absolute fortune on something that will be scoffed by half the village without a thought as to how much it cost me to make!!!!!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Cake making help

Postby Workingman » 29 Jun 2013, 14:05

Have a gander at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwt8Q5jaA4

It looks so easy. ;) I was thinking of figures from one of L's magazines. Cut them out and use them as templates to make flat fondant figures to stick on a fondant covered cake (basic sponge).
Workingman

Postby debih » 29 Jun 2013, 14:09

Thanks Frank.

I will have a gander at that with my coffee - when I get back from chauffering duties!
debih

Postby Diflower » 29 Jun 2013, 15:25

It is easy Debih, especially if you just stick with a big oblong.
My grill pan took a 3-egg sponge mix, I used Mary Berry's which has a higher ratio of flour (the lemon drizzle traybake I did a link for). I think that link has the quantities for a bigger size but let me know if not.
Don't even think of splitting and filling it, it's quite sickly enough once you have the buttercream and fondant on it. The icing makes it look bigger too, I think it would serve at least 16.

You need to make the cake ahead so you can chill it; then you do a layer of buttercream which stops the crumbs coming through and gives the fondant something to stick to.
Even better make it ahead and freeze it, then cover semi-frozen.
Knead the fondant well so it's soft, roll it out, drape it over the cake and smooth it down - start with the corners. It's very easy, honest.
Oh and use ready-coloured fondant, it's much much better than colouring it yourself. You can just do big stars, or cut-out flowers, it'd look really good and no-one notices after the first 'ooh that looks lovely' :)
Diflower

Postby debih » 29 Jun 2013, 16:29

Thanks for that Di.

I am starting to sway more towards the rainbow cake as she mentioned it quite a while ago.

Something like this

debih

Postby Diflower » 29 Jun 2013, 17:49

I like the look of the rainbow cakes too, I'd been hoping for an excuse to make one :lol:

For the outside would you do just buttercream? It looks good if you swirl the colour in so it's not mixed properly ;)
Diflower

Return to In The Kitchen