Aubergines

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Aubergines

Postby meriad » 08 Sep 2013, 15:47

I had four large aubergines that were ripe at the same time so today I tried to recreate a recipe that I ate a year or two back in a vegetarian restaurant in London... from memory it had aubergine, chilli and ricotta as the ingredients so that's what I went with; but I did add a few tomatoes and garlic of course. It turned out really tasty; mom and I had a taster for lunch and now I've got 3 portions ready to go into the freezer.

I cubed the aubergines and fried them in oil, adding two chilli's about 3/4 of the way through. Then I added some tomatoes and then the garlic. Right at the end I stirred in the ricotta. Obviously salt according to taste along the way.

Next time though I'd be tempted to try either crème fraiche or a soft cream cheese vs the ricotta as ricotta is quite a 'dry' cheese and given it's to go over pasta I prefer something a bit juicier.

But still = it's yummy
meriad

Re: Aubergines

Postby Kaz » 08 Sep 2013, 16:01

That sounds very good Ria :D

We didn't grow aubergines this year, but are definitely going to next year 8-) ;)
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 08 Sep 2013, 16:06

Sounds lovely - I do a similar aubergine and tomato sauce for pasta but don't add anything creamy to it, just probably more tomatoes. Tempted to try it with creme fraiche as well now :)
I love aubergines :D
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 08 Sep 2013, 17:58

I quite like the look of that.

I don't have any aubergines in, but I do have a couple of courgettes that need using up. The crème fraiche looks the way to go for me as I am not keen on soft or cream cheeses.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 08 Sep 2013, 20:28

I think it would work well with courgettes Frank, let us know if you try it as we've still got loads of them coming :? :lol:
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 08 Sep 2013, 21:03

One of our favourite meals is courgette pasta, and one of the simplest too :)

Cut the courgette/s into either half-rounds or thin chip-shapes. Cook in a little oil over medium heat, with a squished clove of garlic in it, add seasoning. Remove the garlic if it starts to go too brown, or when the courgettes are done.
Cook pasta - penne or tagliatelle both work well - once done, drain but hold a cupful of the water.
Add to the courgettes and toss in a finely chopped red chilli, plus a good dollop of creme fraiche, and some of the pasta water if needed. Taste for seasoning. Serve with fresh parmesan to grate on top, and basil leaves scattered on if you have them.
If you want meat it's good with crisply-cooked chopped bacon mixed in, or chorizo, but we prefer it as it is :)

Or - cut up roughly any mixture of red onion, courgette, aubergine, peppers. Mix with olive oil, spread on a baking tray and roast with some whole or halved tomatoes, and fresh thyme or dried oregano & thyme.
Then just add to cooked pasta, with black olives if you like them, and either a splosh of white wine or some of the pasta water, and plenty of seasoning.

Btw, I added a courgette that wanted using up (processed with the celery etc) to the Bolognese sauce I made earlier, it blended in well :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 09 Sep 2013, 09:19

Lovely Di, I've already done similar but that recipe looks fab ;)

It hasn't quite got to the same level here yet as The Courgette Glut of 2006 when we grew them in Swindon :shock: We had soooo many of them that the neighbours stopped answering their doors in case it was us again with armfuls of the blooming things ;) :-P We had them with pasta, fried with garlic, in cheese sauce, curried, in soups, even stuffed some of the big ones like marrows...............I was sick to death of the blooming things :lol:

Doreen told me she'd found a recipe for courgette and chocolate cake! :shock: Keep meaning to ask her for it, and will post it here if she finds it for me :? :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby meriad » 09 Sep 2013, 12:15

I love courgette pasta Di. My sister introduced me to it many years ago and as you say it's so simple and quick and just so incredibly tasty.

I'm hungry now :lol:
meriad

Postby Workingman » 09 Sep 2013, 15:49

Here is a courgette version.

I just did what Ria said in her op, but I put in some chopped chives and torn basil and used crème fraiche instead of ricotta. There is a bit of parmesan grated on top.

Enough for one for tonight and a couple for the freezer, and it is ab fab. There is an earthiness and creaminess from the courgettes and crème fraiche with just enough heat from the chillies.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 09 Sep 2013, 16:15

oh that looks totally delicious! yum!
meriad

Next

Return to In The Kitchen