Whole peeled tomatoes

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Whole peeled tomatoes

Postby Weka » 12 Sep 2013, 10:19

OK. this may sound like a really silly question..........

I always buy tins of chopped tomatoes. I use them like they are going out of fashion in all sorts of things in all sorts of ways. However, just lately, I seem to have a habit of picking up whole peeled tomatoes by mistake, and I now have about 10 tins of the things in the pantry.

What can I make with them? Do they stay whole when you cook them or do they mush down?
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Re: Whole peeled tomatoes

Postby TheOstrich » 12 Sep 2013, 13:23

You mean peeled plum tomatoes? - gorgeous! Ship 'em over here, Weka ... :D

They don't cook down when heated in a pan / microwave. We tend to use them as a quick and simple vegetable accompaniment to steak, breaded fish fillets, or with a mixed grill, or (my favourite) with haggis!

Asda (Walmart) locally had a special offer on throughout the summer and you could get 4 tins of chopped or peeled plum toms for £2. Unfortunately, I rather went overboard with the purchasing and I'm embarrassed to say that we currently have a tinned tomato "mountain" in the garage (errr .... there were 52 tins at last count) :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
TheOstrich

Postby Diflower » 12 Sep 2013, 14:29

Ossie I pay 31p for a tin, so don't need a mountain ;)

Weka they do indeed cook down if you want them to. You can either drain some of the juice into whatever you're cooking, then stick a knife in the tin and chop them (very easy), or add them to the pan and use what you're cooking with - for me that's usually one of those flat-ended wooden spatulas - to break them up. No problem at all, I buy whatever I grab from the shelf :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 12 Sep 2013, 16:43

I do the same as Di, Weka :)

Ossie I never pay more than 30 odd pence for tinned toms, chopped or whole :shock: :lol: And that's in Sainsbury's :? ;)
Kaz

Postby saundra » 12 Sep 2013, 17:02

i drain them of and have them on toast
love em
saundra

Postby Diflower » 12 Sep 2013, 17:23

:lol:
The other day in Tesco I saw packs of 4 tins for £2 with a big 'special' notice, I scratched my head wondering who'd fall for that one...I know now :lol:
Sorry Ossie :oops: :lol:
Diflower

Postby TheOstrich » 12 Sep 2013, 17:43

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Point taken - but has to be said, though, we stick to Napolina brand rather that "store's own" because we find you get more tomatoes in your tin. Sometimes when we've had Smart Price, it's been just two tomatoes and a load of juice.
TheOstrich

Postby debih » 12 Sep 2013, 17:49

I use them as I would chopped tomatoes - just give them a mush up whilst they are cooking.

I love them whole on toast but even better, whole on top of cheese on toast. Yum. That's my lunch for tomorrow sorted.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Diflower » 12 Sep 2013, 21:01

I do agree that some of the really cheap tins are awful, really watery. But the Lidl ones are fine, and the 'standard' supermarket ones. And btw, Lidl's passata is absolutely brilliant, really thick and rich, and 29p a carton :)

We have some relatively expensive tomatoey stuff at the moment, thanks to a slight emergency - made the dough for pizzas on Saturday, went to make the sauce and discovered we had no tinned tomatoes, no passata.
So BB went to Waitrose, which is closest. He found cartons of passata with either basil, chilli or garlic, 99p each or 2 for £1 which is pricey but for a nice product.
Then he saw tins of pizza sauce, on offer at 72p, which is what we used. At first I thought it wasn't worth it, but it's really nice and did the two pizzas on Saturday, plus I froze the rest in a silicone muffin tray, 4 more portions - so 6 pizzas from a tin.
I went back and got a couple more :D
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 12 Sep 2013, 21:46

I have never understood why anyone would buy chopped peeled tomatoes at a premium price. Just get the peeled ones and mash them with a potato masher, they will break down when cooked anyway.

Same with passata. Why pay 69p for Napolina when the same size Smart Price is 29p? Each product is 100% tomato.
Workingman

Next

Return to In The Kitchen