From the Kaz cookbook.

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

From the Kaz cookbook.

Postby Workingman » 07 Oct 2013, 12:22

Asda had some of their extra special sausages on offer so I bought two packs. I portioned one pack and put them in the freezer. The other I put in the fridge..... and forgot about them. :o :roll:

Yesterday I found them and they were right on their use by date so I had to do something with them..... a Kaz style sausage casserole seemed like a good idea.

I fried the sausages without any oil, just their own juices. I then fried some onions and mushrooms in those same juices with a bit of flour towards the end. They all went in a casserole with a tin of tomatoes, ground pepper, a stock pot and enough water to cover. 45 mins in a medium oven and the whole lot was ready. It tastes superb.
Workingman

Re: From the Kaz cookbook.

Postby Rodo » 07 Oct 2013, 14:05

Isn't that called cassoulet, or something like that?
Rodo

Postby Diflower » 07 Oct 2013, 14:32

No, it's definitely a sausage casserole :D

Cassoulet has variations, but originally has confit duck leg, piece of pork I think, Toulouse sausages, beans, all sorts - apparently takes about 3 days to make from start to finish :shock: But I think that includes confiting the duck ;)

Sounds good WM, I do several different sausagey casseroles - I like that they taste different depending on the type of sausage :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 07 Oct 2013, 15:17

:lol: :lol: That gave me quite a turn Frank, I thought my inner Nigella had been publishing without my permission :-P ;) :lol:

Yep we all love those sausage type casseroles, I even make one sometimes that's just veggie with beans and stuff and plenty of bbq seasoning :) Scrummy, really cheap and fab with either rice or mash 8-)

I do sometimes make them in the main oven, if time is a factor, but this is great in the slow cooker - although you do have to arbebrown the bangers first, either frying or oven baking. This is the one time I do pre-brown for the slow cooker :)
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 07 Oct 2013, 15:33

We used to buy cassoulet au porc when in France. The veg and beans are in a big glass jar and the pok cubes/shreds and stock seasonings are in the "lid". It all goes in a pan to simmer till piping hot all through. A tasty and cheap one-pot camping meal.
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen