Darnation.... I got that just a bit (very) wrong

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Darnation.... I got that just a bit (very) wrong

Postby meriad » 10 Oct 2013, 21:07

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Just dug out the steak from the freezer that I was going to use for the casserole tomorrow and it turns out it's frying steak not stewing / casserole steak as I thought.

Now I've bought all the bits and pieces to make a boeuf bourguignon so suspect I'll be heading to the butcher tomorrow morning to get some decent stewing steak because I really want this to be nice :D .

I'm going to let the frying steak defrost anyway as it needs to be used; it's been in the freezer for some time as it is.
meriad

Re: Darnation.... I got that just a bit (very) wrong

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 21:15

I think you'd be fine if you just cook it for less time meriad, it would be a shame not to use it now :)
Start it off as intended, minus carrots (not really included for boeuf bourguignon) and with the sauteéd mushrooms & shallots (or sliced onion) an hour or so before the end, but only give it maybe 5 hours cooking.

It depends a bit on the thickness of the meat, if it's thin leave it in whole slices ;)
For a bit of added loveliness if you have it also fry at the beginning some chopped streaky bacon, and/or add just one tiny strip of orange peel :)
Diflower

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 21:20

Or...
If you're determined to make the proper bourgignon, then go ahead and get the stewing steak and do that.

But for the frying steak - how much is there? Just a steak sarnie for lunch tomorrow?
Or slice into strips and make stroganoff, which you can eat or freeze :)
Or thaw then process with Thai curry paste or chilli/garlic/ginger/lime/spring onion, make into little patties then fry or bake and either eat or freeze?
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 10 Oct 2013, 21:41

I wouldn't stress too much Ria. Frying steak is usually mechanically tenderised braising steak, possibly chuck or flank.

Cut it into 3cm strips and dust it in seasoned flour and pre-fry in batches, then slow cook it, as Di says, for less time whatever recipe you follow.

You can use the seasoned flour mixed with a bit of the cooled sauce as a thickener towards the end.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 10 Oct 2013, 21:59

thanks both :D

Di, I did buy streaky bacon as well as shallots and mushrooms.

Frank, I'll decide tomorrow if I'll use the frying steak or head to the butcher for some better meat. I was originally thinking of making a goulash so have ingredients for that as well so maybe I'll just do two batches, the boef in the slow cooker and either goulash or stroganoff in a pot on the hob :) I love both so will be very happy either way :)
meriad

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 22:07

I love stroganoff :D
Goulash reminds me...I must start a thread ;)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 10 Oct 2013, 22:13

Oh God, Gulaschsuppe followed by Jaegershnitzel mit Pommes frites.

An all time favourite meal from the Kevelaer Balkan Grill. ;) 8-)
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 22:35

I presume Jaegershnitzel is thin pork of some kind?
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 10 Oct 2013, 23:00

Breaded veal cutlets to be authentic, Di, but pork, chicken and turkey are now also used. They are cooked slowly in a large pan then removed from the pan to rest. Onions, mushrooms and smoked paprika are then cooked in the juices and butter until softened then the cutlets are returned with cream, or crème fraîche and stock and heated through.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 11 Oct 2013, 08:32

Oh thanks for that - sounds quite nice, except don't the breadcrumbs go soggy, I'd probably miss those out anyway :)
Diflower

Next

Return to In The Kitchen