Large gammon hock

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Large gammon hock

Postby Lozzles » 14 Oct 2013, 22:46

Di, I bought it from the Nisa supermarket which is near Salisbury hospital. It is only a smallish shop but it has a good butcher there. I have been popping in to get a few bits after my physio and audiology appointments at the hospital.
Lozzles

Postby Diflower » 14 Oct 2013, 23:07

Nice to have some small bonus then Loz, a good butcher is always worth finding ;)
Diflower

Postby Diflower » 28 Oct 2013, 18:19

We went to Morrisons today and they had great big gammon shanks for £1.99 :D
So it's in the fridge to cook probably tomorrow. I think you mentioned you cooked another one as well Loz, how have you done them?
Slow cooker is what I'm intending, if I get it all ready in time I have one of those bags of 'soup mix' that includes split peas, lentils etc, I thought maybe that plus carrot & onion.
Diflower

Postby Lozzles » 29 Oct 2013, 00:13

Sounds ideal Di :D Both times I have slow cooked them in a casserole dish with the usual suspects :lol: Next time I will use my slow cooker. The best thing though, was the stock the next day. It was so flavoursome and made delicious ham and lentil soup :D
I have never tried those 'soup mix' bags before, so I will be interested to hear how it turns out.
Lozzles

Postby Diflower » 29 Oct 2013, 09:28

Thanks Loz :)
The bags vary quite a bit, I'd only had one before, it did make lovely soup but I used fresh veg as well. This one's from Waitrose and has pearl barley, split green & yellow peas, red lentils, some brown rice too I think, little beans...

I've settled on a Gary Rhodes recipe that I know I've done before, substituting the soup mix for his green lentils. The gammon has soaked overnight, then will go in the s/cooker with quartered onion, carrot & a celery stick, nit of leek, bay leaf and some thyme. When done cool a bit then remove skin/fat, pull off meat. Strain & save stock.

Separately will later saute some finely chopped onion, carrot, celery, maybe garlic. Boil the soup mix then add to these veg, cook for half an hour or so.
Mix some of the meat with some of the mixture, serve with mash and cabbage.
Then the rest of the veg mix, stock and some more meat will be soup or maybe another stew-type thing :)
Diflower

Postby Lozzles » 29 Oct 2013, 09:55

Just the job :D Sounds lovely.
Lozzles

Postby manxie » 29 Oct 2013, 13:14

ham hock or gammon hock are one and the same forelegs or hind legs of the pig then cured, these days they force salt in under pressure to cure them faster than the old methods. I advise you to soak the hock overnight if possible and change the water as well to reduce the salt content. I only boil then set to simmer my hocks along with any veg you like I use onion and carrot, ready when it starts to fall apart when poked with a wooden spoon, I use a spider like they use in a chippy to take out the hock . I also cook brisket the same way that is another cheaper tastier cut of beef you get great stock from both.

Manxie xx
manxie

Postby Lozzles » 29 Oct 2013, 13:28

Thanks Manxie :D
Lozzles

Postby Rodo » 29 Oct 2013, 13:43

I buy gammon joints from Aldi, such good value. I soak it for several hours and then boil in a large pot with lots of carrots, onions and lentils, with some mustard powder and pepper for taste. After we have had the meal, with the thickened liquid for gravy, there is loads left for soup for lunch the next day.
Rodo

Postby Diflower » 29 Oct 2013, 14:56

It's been in the slow cooker since 9 with its veg and smelling lovely, we just turned it over :)
The skin had started to come away after soaking so Bb cut that off, which is good as there will be less fat in the stock.
Diflower

Previous

Return to In The Kitchen