Anyone know about renting rules?

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Anyone know about renting rules?

Postby Workingman » 04 May 2024, 17:32

My lovely Polish neighbours, both working, have been given a Section 21 because their landlord sold the property. They are having problems re-renting and have only eight weeks to move. They, obviously, do not want to sit in and go for a court eviction as that would make problems for future tenancies.

Part of the problem is their English, it's good, but with an accent. I suggested using text or email.

We have tried the Council, Citizen's Advice and Shelter for help, but they are not yet homeless.

I have searched local lettings agents and given them a list, but properties go so fast - it's a popular area. From next week I will be on all the sites for the latest rents and will arrange for me to view them asap, I'm retired so can go anytime. Greg and Aggie will register with agents and also get notifications.

I have a spare room if they need it till they find a place.

Two month's notice nowadays is not enough given the market.

Any other suggestions?
Workingman

Re: Anyone know about renting rules?

Postby saundra » 04 May 2024, 18:14

Good luck to them wm if been trying for months to get a move to be near Scarlett yet I have to bid I bid again this week but I didn't get a 1 bed bungalow I was 84 on the list I can't even get one from my own housing association which is mad because I would be giving up a family house yes I could go private but I won't because it's not a secure tennancy
saundra

Postby Kaz » 04 May 2024, 18:53

This happened to my Chris a year or so back, the landlord said he was selling up, but actually he spruced the places up a bit then put them back on the rental market for higher rents :evil: :evil: It ought not to be allowed! :(

I feel very sorry for your neighbours, and hope things work out for them xx
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 04 May 2024, 18:54

Ah, Saundra, that's a shame about that bungalow! :(
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 04 May 2024, 21:00

When I came out of the RAF in 1983 renting was easy. There were more properties than renters. Then it was arrange to view, accept, pay a deposit, move in. The tennacy was open ended. You stayed as long as you payed the rent.

Now it is cut throat and It's sort of gazumping. The asking rent now seems to be the base, but potential renters can offer more. I am confused.
Workingman

Postby saundra » 04 May 2024, 21:06

When bill left the RAF in 1969 we got a council house straight away you did in those says and ever since then we managed to house exchange to our present day
saundra

Postby cruiser2 » 05 May 2024, 08:24

There is a large housing estate near where Ilive. It was built before te war by the localcouncil and all the houses wereb rented from the council.
They were well built, some with big gardens. All had bathrooms.
Then Maggie Thatcher said you could buy your council house. So most of them are now privately ownedwith very few rented.
A young couple whoare both working with a child, are renting a three bedroom terraced house for £700.00 per month. It is not far from where I live.
I am glad I own my own house which is freehold.
cruiser2

Postby victor » 05 May 2024, 11:58

Morning all .
Here for a small 2 bedroom house we are paying £950 p/m

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk
victor

Postby saundra » 05 May 2024, 14:41

A friend of Jonathan was renting a house she cut a tree down and he gave her noticed wilfull damage them put a new famil!y in
She had cut the tree down it was only little to put a shed there which was a new one world's gone mad :x
You need to go back to maderia Victor do you miss it?
saundra

Postby Workingman » 05 May 2024, 15:11

Sorry Saundra but Jonathan's friend should have read her tenancy agreement and then contacted the landlord.

Had she asked, and explained why, the landlord might have agreed. They would have got a free shed out of it after all.

I have been here 18 years and have a great relationship with my landlord, but I have to ask before making substantial changes. A few years ago I demolished her old wooden shed and put up a galvanised steel one, but I had to get permission.

But back to the OP. Back in the 80s when me and the ex were renting you could move in or out any time you liked. There were properties-a-plenty so two months was ample notice. Today properties are scarce and the market is cut-throat; two month's (84 days to be precise) notice is not enough.
Workingman

Next

Return to Cafe