Sausages tonight

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Sausages tonight

Postby Diflower » 24 Jan 2013, 13:42

Almost everyone loves sausages and we're having them tonight, so I thought we could have a thread of favourite recipes.

We've had this one loads of times and always look forward to it:
sausages

It's lovely with either tinned or dried beans, and good with Savoy cabbage as well as kale. I add a dollop of Dijon mustard, and a little creme fraiche instead of cream :)
We've also had it without the beans altogether, still scrummy!
Diflower

Re: Sausages tonight

Postby Workingman » 24 Jan 2013, 14:03

When the supermarket has pork mince in I like to make my own skinless sausages.

I whizz the mince down a bit more in the blender, but not too much, add pinches of sage, mace, ground nutmeg, pepper and salt, and a goodly amount of fresh breadcrumbs, and mix together.

Deeelish with beans and a fried egg. :o :D
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 24 Jan 2013, 16:03

I sometimes make a sausage and bean casserole. I brown the sausages on a tray in the oven, or you could fry, chop them into thirds, put them in the slow cooker with chopped onions, chopped tinned tomatoes, maybe a carrot or two if I have any sitting about, a tin of either kidney, flageolet or even baked beans and throw in a teaspoon of chilli or parika and some mixed herbs. Gorgeous with jacket spuds or garlic bread to mop up the juice.
Kaz

Postby Lozzles » 25 Jan 2013, 12:37

Comfort food here is sausages served with pan haggerty
Lozzles

Postby Diflower » 25 Jan 2013, 13:11

Workingman wrote:When the supermarket has pork mince in I like to make my own skinless sausages.

I whizz the mince down a bit more in the blender, but not too much, add pinches of sage, mace, ground nutmeg, pepper and salt, and a goodly amount of fresh breadcrumbs, and mix together.

Deeelish with beans and a fried egg. :o :D

I do those but with Thai-type flavours. No breadcrumbs but add fresh chilli, lime zest & juice, garlic, spring onion, light soy, fish sauce...mmm, I could just eat a pile now :D
Definitely not with baked beans and egg though ;)
Diflower

Postby debih » 25 Jan 2013, 13:26

Because most of the sausages we eat are from our own piggies I rarely do anything with them other than grill them and eat them as they are. It seems wrong to mask their lovely flavour in a casserole.

However, as we have now run out I shall be looking at all their recipes with interest and will give them a go.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Workingman » 25 Jan 2013, 13:28

Diflower wrote:I do..... Thai-type flavours. No breadcrumbs but add fresh chilli, lime zest & juice, garlic, spring onion, light soy, fish sauce...mmm

Now they do sound good. :lol:

I have some lamb mince in the freezer and I intend to make kebab sausages with it. No breadcrumbs just cumin, hot chilli powder, smashed garlic clove, hint of ground coriander and a squeeze of tomato purée.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 25 Jan 2013, 13:29

I agree Debih, if the sausages are good enough don't mess with them!
Last night's were M&S decent ones (reduced!) but tbh nice and meaty but not fantastic.

Just remembered I also have a nice recipe for sausages with red cabbage, must dig it out ;)
Diflower

Postby Diflower » 25 Jan 2013, 13:31

Workingman wrote:
I have some lamb mince in the freezer and I intend to make kebab sausages with it. No breadcrumbs just cumin, hot chilli powder, smashed garlic clove, hint of ground coriander and a squeeze of tomato purée.

If you have a bit too much mix you can also freeze some for a spicy meaty pizza topping - I do it with little bits of leftover roast meat too ;)
Diflower

Postby Lozzles » 25 Jan 2013, 13:37

Oh, that's a good idea :)
Lozzles

Next

Return to In The Kitchen