The Random Thread

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: The Random Thread

Postby Workingman » 13 Jan 2017, 12:51

Re accommodation: M went to Newcastle Uni, S to Northumbria. Student lets were criminally expensive and in the worst areas of town. They teamed up with another couple and got a house just outside the city centre. Over the three years they save a small fortune compared to their friends in student digs.

Re language: Asda sets me off. I find a product, I like it, then when I go back there it is, GONE! Some of the things that go awol are popular items, but some wonk in procurement wants us to try something new. My answer is to buy the old stuff somewhere else - Morrisons.
Workingman

Postby JoM » 13 Jan 2017, 13:05

Frank, my friend's daughter is at uni in the North West. Cant think of the name of it but it's in Ormskirk. She was in halls in the first year but for her second year she and three friends have been in a student let.
When I saw Ruth a few weeks ago she said that E's going back into halls for her third year. The house has been a nightmare despite being on the list of recommended properties from the uni. Just before E came home for Christmas it had got to the point that they'd had to report the house. It had been deemed uninhabitable and the landlord (who owns 30+ other properties) had been served notice by the council to undertake the repairs. E's been paying £400 per month.
She's been Facetiming Ruth at 3am some mornings, in tears about it all.
JoM

Postby tonicha » 13 Jan 2017, 13:20

I worked at a uni in student accommodation. The majority of "our" private landlord houses were immaculate when the students moved in ;) Some weren't the best, but believe me, I wouldn't accept a rubbish house for any of our students.

if the landlords didn't do the work as requested, before the students didn't move in, then it was taken off the list. Our local councils also got involved adn there were a ream of stuff they had to do, to be accepted firstly by us and also by the council.

I have seen some really awful properties though :roll: :roll: :shock:
tonicha

Postby JoM » 13 Jan 2017, 13:51

I can imagine Ton!

There are five of them sharing this year, in halls. Two are a couple though and they want to get their own place next year. They're all really good friends, very close, but those two are incredibly messy. Tom, Shannon and Jake aren't and they're so fed up of having to clean up before they can do as much as make a coffee.
I actually bought them a filter coffee maker when they all moved back in September and Tom said that whenever the couple have been using it there's always a half pot of cold coffee left there which the next person has to deal with. Little things like that. We bought him a Tassimo machine for Christmas and he's got that in his room, and J and S have a stash of coffee to use in it too :lol:

When we took him back after Christmas the couple had already been back for a few days, J and S were arriving the following day. The kitchen was my worst nightmare. the sink was piled high with washing up, the surfaces were covered in half eaten food and rubbish. Tom says that he dreads to think what any place they rent will be like after they've lived there for a few weeks.

Funnily enough he shared with five other lads last year and that kitchen was always spotless (and it wasn't because they lived on takeaways :lol: , there was always at least one of them cooking whenever we went in).
JoM

Postby tonicha » 13 Jan 2017, 13:55

My eldest granddaughter was in halls last year. She said the girls were the worst and she's now (in her second year) sharing with 3 lads :lol: :lol:
tonicha

Postby JoM » 13 Jan 2017, 13:59

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I don't think I've ever gone in there and not seen Jake cleaning something or another. But then he's in the armed forces, as was his Dad, so I suppose he has that discipline instilled in him.
JoM

Postby JoM » 13 Jan 2017, 17:46

Well! Joe's just freaked me out!

Me and John are going to Decathlon tonight. I was walking through the woods just thinking about it and wondering if Joe would want to come when *ping* a text came through.
"Can I come to Decathlon with you tonight?"
JoM

Postby meriad » 13 Jan 2017, 17:59

JoM wrote:Me and John are going to Decathlon tonight. I was walking through the woods just thinking about it and wondering if Joe would want to come when *ping* a text came through. "Can I come to Decathlon with you tonight?"

great minds :lol: :lol: :lol:
meriad

Postby Kaz » 13 Jan 2017, 18:02

Spooky, Jo! :lol: :lol:

I agree that girls are worse, both Harry and Chris are far tidier than Becky! B's room is a tip, Harry's is nice and tidy. Admittedly he is only here now and then, but even when he's been here for weeks on end in the holidays it's the same :)
Kaz

Postby JoM » 13 Jan 2017, 19:29

Tom's room is quite untidy when he comes home for a short time as he doesn't bother unpacking his bags, or at Christmas it was a suitcase and bags, but over the Summer he kept it very tidy. It's just a matter of not being able to see much of the floor for piles of clothes really. Joe's kept his tidy since he had all new furniture last Summer.
JoM

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe