Warmth

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Warmth

Postby Suff » 02 Dec 2012, 10:42

Finally, after 9 winters, the house is fully warm in the morning. I still have to take out one radiator which leaked (old one which needs some rennovation), but the central heating is working perfectly.

Never mind that the people who were putting a new door through to the garage next door left a piece of wood with a nail in it, point side up and I stood on it whilst foraging for kindling.... We are now able to keep the house warm and comfortable cheaply and effectively...
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: Warmth

Postby saundra » 02 Dec 2012, 10:46

well done
worth the hard work then
hope your foot is ok
saundra

Postby Workingman » 02 Dec 2012, 12:16

If the long range forecast is anything to go by you'll be glad you got it finished this year.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 02 Dec 2012, 12:24

Well done Suff, you deserve some payback after the huge amount of work you've put in :)
Diflower

Postby Suff » 02 Dec 2012, 20:11

Foot is on the mend but the sock is ruined. I put savlon on it and then sprayed it with instant plaster.

It's been a long journey but it would have cost significant bucks to get the system done by someone else. The boiler cost €4,500 to buy and fit into an existing system. Then again it's a good investment. The only issue at the moment is that the house tends to be a touch too warm when trying to keep enough wood burning in it. Too little wood and it goes out. When it starts to get a lot colder the extra heat will be a boon.
Suff

Postby Weka » 03 Dec 2012, 07:37

Tell me about ths instant spray on plaster? What is it and how does it work? Is it safe or toddlers?

Now, how is your foot? I hope it wasn't a rusty nail and your tetanus shots are up to date.

Your house sounds lovely and warm. I that both sides?
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby Suff » 03 Dec 2012, 10:48

Hi Weka,

The spray plaster can be seen here. It works fine for me but my skin on my hands and feet is very thick. I take the excess skin, which builds up on my heels, off with a pair of scissors.... Mrs S and #2 Grandson have had issues with it burining and blistering them. I'm sure it depends on yuor skin type and you would have to test it on a very small patch. It certainly stings when it goes on.

My foot is tender but recovering. I find savlon works for me extremely well which is why it is one of the "liquids" I always travel with. There is no swelling or inflamation and there was on Satruday evening which is when I looked at it. The nail was celean as it had been used just the week before and pulled out of the wood it was holding together. My tetanus is only 3 years old as I nearly carved the knuckle off my index finger 3 years ago and when they tested me I had no protection.

When we first bought the house in 2002, one of the first things we did was to pull out oil fired boiler which stood int the hall and the parrafin tank which was "inside" the house, in the garage and only 10 feet from the boiler through a flimsy tongue and groove panelled wall. When Mrs S stopped in on the way back from our Ball in Freiburg in Feb 2013, it was -10 and she spent the whole time in the living room with a roaring fire going and the settee pulled in front of the fire.

Over the years we have completely sealed and insulated the house. Which started with rickety doors at the ground floor, garage, level and ended with a normal internal house door to the attic and a completely open attic roof. The only way to keep any heat in the house was in any one room and that is where the radiators/fireplaces and stoves were.

Yesterday half a dozen half meter logs, kept the whole house overwarm most of the day.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 03 Dec 2012, 16:23

Suff,
Mentioning logs, I can remember when I was young, helping to saw logs from tree trunks, using a large cross cut saw with a handle at each end. You could get up quite a speed with two youngsters, one on each handle.
cruiser2

Postby Suff » 03 Dec 2012, 18:36

you certainly can cruiser. However today people are money.

I get my logs split and supposed to be cut to length. The current logs are a touch long so I'm using my chop saw to half them...

My time is a touch too precious to do this by hand...
Suff

Postby Weka » 04 Dec 2012, 01:44

Thanks Suff, I'll have a look for it, but if it stings, I'm probably not likely to get that on them either then.

Pleased your foot hasn't got infected.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Return to Cafe