Who next for England?

For the chaps here

Who next for England?

Postby JoM » 16 Jul 2024, 11:35

Who do you reckon lads?
Potter or Howe? Joe informs me that it’s being reported that Tuchel is interested, and Pochettino’s out of work too.

I’m thinking Potter.
JoM

Re: Who next for England?

Postby Workingman » 16 Jul 2024, 13:09

Hmm, good question, Jo.

I am thinking that they will go "English" (British) after the not-so-successful deals with Sven and Fabio so that puts Potter up there. However, I would not write off Lee Carsley the current U-21 manager. He knows the FA system and has won things for them.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 16 Jul 2024, 13:40

I would prefer Howe, but he has a job.
Potter et al don't.
The FA could go for another internal appointment though.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby JoM » 16 Jul 2024, 14:52

Frank, Joe texted me not long back and said he’d read Lee Carsley but he didn’t know who he was. The name rang a bell with me as a player from the 90s. When I read up about him, it makes sense and I told Joe pretty much what you said. He knows the system, the FA know him and he’s working with players already who should hopefully be making the team in the future.
JoM

Postby Workingman » 16 Jul 2024, 16:34

Yes, he has worked with players now in the senior squad; Bellingham; Foden; Mainoo; Palmer; Wharton etc, as well as others who are on the way to breaking through such as Lewis, Branthwaite, Colwill and Gelhardt....

He marks a lot of cards.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 09 Aug 2024, 14:23

And Carsley it is.
As "interim manager".
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 09 Aug 2024, 15:37

He desreves it, but why "interim"?

Since Southgate left It has been closed season everywhere that matters so who else was looked at or approached? Potter, Tuchel, Poch? Were none of them interested?

What will the suits at the FA do next; wait till the seasons are underway and try to poach a 'top' manager and then have to pay a small fortune to get them?

Amateurish at best.
Workingman

Postby JoM » 09 Aug 2024, 23:27

Odd situation isn’t it and there doesn’t seem to have been much speculation about who’s linked to the job since the initial rumours a month ago?
I suppose they want someone in for the international break next month (I assume there’s one anyway, there usually is and I’m not sure if they’re friendlies or qualifiers this time around?).
Perhaps the suits are giving Carsley a trial period to see how results go then?
JoM

Postby cromwell » 11 Aug 2024, 09:38

JoM wrote:Perhaps the suits are giving Carsley a trial period to see how results go then?

I think so Jo, yes.
Plus he's an FA insider, like Southgate was. He will know the politics of the organisation and all that. Also maybe he's the cheapest option?
Getting in a top club manager might involve compensation and a massive wage for the new man and all of his team. Carsley won't command the salary of a Klopp or Eddie Howe.
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 11 Aug 2024, 19:23

Why would top managers like Klopp or Pep want the England part-time job as some England fans seem to want?

They are at the top of their careers and winning things with great clubs. Why on Earth would they want to downgrade to the England job? I don't get it.

England needs a solid presence, not a 'Star' or a Keegan, Hoddle, El Tel, Sven or Cappelo, but a steady hand at the helm. Carsley might be it.
Workingman

Return to The Shed