Just seen an accident near to home

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Just seen an accident near to home

Postby cromwell » 07 Dec 2012, 21:34

Just passed the aftermath of an accident. There were two police cars there, also a silver Vauxhall and a dark car. The dark car had taken considerable damage to the front end. I hope everyone is OK.

It is a junction onto a busy main road. Sometimes people have difficulty turning right onto the main road as it is so busy. That's another bad one; last month a car hit a bus head on about a quarter of a mile away on the same main road.

It's not enough just to stick cameras up and drop speed limits; we need serious investment in ironing out problems like bad junctions, dodgy crossroads, roads with sudden bad bends. It would cost a lot of money but it has to be worth it surely?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: Just seen an accident near to home

Postby debih » 07 Dec 2012, 21:40

Hope you are okay Cromwell - it is never nice to witness an accident, or see the aftermath of one. Makes you realise how fragile everything really is.

Hoping that the people involved are all okay too.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Kaz » 07 Dec 2012, 21:41

How awful :cry: I hope everyone was ok too xxxx

We had two fatal accidents in our city last week - possibly because the traffic was so much heavier than normal, thanks to the flooding heareabouts :cry:
Kaz

Postby meriad » 07 Dec 2012, 21:42

How sad; I just hope that everyone is OK and that there isn't another family 'celebrating' Christmas without a loved one

I'm not sure what the answer is Cromwell - more education? Camera's are OK provided they have film, speed limits will be broken.... Maybe more roundabouts or traffic lights? Who knows but some accidents really are preventable

sigh :(
meriad

Postby cromwell » 07 Dec 2012, 21:45

I'm fine thanks Deb but it wasn't a nice sight; also just remembered there was another accident at the identical spot two months since.

We really do need better roads. Both my kids are driving now and you can't help but worry.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Diflower » 07 Dec 2012, 21:56

It's mostly people needing to understand they're in a little metal box...

Driving home today, just dark, in a line of traffic, and a line on the other side. But one car on the other side decided he didn't want to be in a line, and just started overtaking - not one car, quick in and out, but 'made' an extra lane and just drove past several cars! All of us on the other side could only drive well to the left and hope he missed us :(
Diflower

Postby meriad » 07 Dec 2012, 22:02

Diflower wrote:It's mostly people needing to understand they're in a little metal box...

Driving home today, just dark, in a line of traffic, and a line on the other side. But one car on the other side decided he didn't want to be in a line, and just started overtaking - not one car, quick in and out, but 'made' an extra lane and just drove past several cars! All of us on the other side could only drive well to the left and hope he missed us :(

And it's situations like this you need the police and they just haven't got the man power. There really are some absolute idiots about. Thank goodness you all had space to move out the way
meriad

Postby meriad » 07 Dec 2012, 22:02

Diflower wrote:It's mostly people needing to understand they're in a little metal box...

And it's situations like this you need the police and they just haven't got the man power. There really are some absolute idiots about. Thank goodness you all had space to move out the way
meriad

Postby Workingman » 07 Dec 2012, 22:05

It might just be me, but in the old days roads followed the terrain and the topography, then designers got involved to allow us to travel 'faster' from A to B.

Not to go quicker/faster, but to get there quicker. The result being what Cromwell has just witnessed.
Workingman

Postby Gal » 07 Dec 2012, 22:11

How awful Cromwell. I hope you're ok x
Gal

Next

Return to Cafe