Leftover corned brisket

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Leftover corned brisket

Postby Weka » 27 Jun 2013, 21:04

Yes, corned brisket, as in the brisket you know, not the silverside I go on about.

I've got about 1kg left over. It was a big cut the butcher gave me. I thought I might slice some and freeze for sandwiches, but what to do with the rest?
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Re: Leftover corned brisket

Postby meriad » 27 Jun 2013, 21:22

I am ashamed to say I have no idea what corned brisket is :oops: ... I know what brisket is, but the only 'corned' type of meat I have ever known is tinned corned beef that we bought back home in SA many many years ago; and whilst it was tasty enough with mustard on sandwiches its not something I'd like to freeze and it wasn't ever a meat I liked heated up in a stew or something like that as some people had it :lol:
meriad

Postby Diflower » 27 Jun 2013, 21:54

I'm not entirely sure what it's like, it's the 'corned' bit that throws me. Is it just like a cooked piece of roast beef?

Do you have a processor or mincer? You could just mince it and then use it for eg Bolognese, chilli, shepherds pies, meat(pastry) pies and pasties. Shepherds pies etc always used to be made with leftover cooked meat.
If you have gravy that could be frozen too, otherwise just add the mince to whatever you're cooking.
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 27 Jun 2013, 23:02

I always thought that 'corned' referred to the curing process and might otherwise be known as salted beef. It has nothing to do with corn. We Brits tend to use flank cuts such as brisket, but it could be from any cut.

The tins of corned beef we are familiar with are not much more than minced salted beef re-cooked in a tin.
Workingman

Postby Weka » 28 Jun 2013, 04:28

The corned processes is basically meat soak in brine.

It's very yummy, and a lot nicer than the tinned meat. We have that too and it's awful stuff.

Thanks for some ideas.... Thinking cap on now.....
Weka

Postby Osc » 28 Jun 2013, 18:46

So is it a pinky colour with a slightly salt flavour (I'm assuming it's the same as our corned beef here). Might be good in risotto.
Osc

Postby Weka » 29 Jun 2013, 09:31

Yes it is Osc. Very pinky and salty. Maybe a little bit like a boiled bacon??? It's also a rolled meat.
Risotto could be nice. I've got some risotto rice too.
I heated up a couple of slices and had it with more mashed potatoes, mustard sauce a peas tonight. There's at least 2 more meals there.
Weka

Return to In The Kitchen