Whole peeled tomatoes

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Whole peeled tomatoes

Postby Diflower » 12 Sep 2013, 21:54

Chopped and whole are the same price at Lidl, and I think Sainsburys too, but tinned or carton tomatoes have certainly got more expensive the last few years.
And Tesco's cheap tins are dreadful, so if that's the only supermarket nearby, then I can understand paying more. What you make (eg bolognese) will definitely taste better with nicer tomatoes, however much extra tom purée you add, as I've found out in the past ;)
Diflower

Postby TheOstrich » 12 Sep 2013, 22:26

Ha! Well I do feel slightly vindicated after the last few posts ... :D

Chopped and peeled plum Napolina are an identical price at Asda as well. We haven't got a Lidl close to us, Di, the nearest is a bit of a car journey and we have only been there once.

I do agree the price of tinned toms has gone up tremendously, and my 4 for £2 extravaganza should be read in the light of the "standard" price for Napolina which is currently 75p / can in Asda.

Still, I won't be buying any more for a while - at least 8 months !! :mrgreen:

We also use them in soups and bolognaises, and I think we do prefer to have a "quality" product.
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 13 Sep 2013, 07:47

Bargain in that case Ossie, I tend to use them chopped in stews, chillis and such like and find the Sainsbury's own brand cartons do the job :)
Kaz

Postby debih » 13 Sep 2013, 09:57

I only buy cheap tinned tomatoes - chopped or whole.

I usually buy them from Lidl and agree with Di about the Lidl ones and their passatta - they are really good.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Kaz » 13 Sep 2013, 10:38

The chef on Daybreak mentioned passatta this morning, and what good value it was compared to tinned toms :shock: Which I thought was wildly coincidental considering how rarely one has a conversation about passatta :? 8-) :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 13 Sep 2013, 10:42

Oh and I never watch Daybreak, it was just on when I switched on the TV, was about to switch to the BBC :? :lol:

Kate Garraway's hair is awful BTW, really solid fringe that covers her eyebrows, and it's all far too long for her face, makes her look horsey :shock: Geez Kate we need layers to give a bit of lift after 45, take a few tips from Lorraine! *insert bitchy smiley* :oops:
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 13 Sep 2013, 10:43

:lol:
I don't use it for everything though, sometimes it's too strong, and sometimes you want the texture.
But if I cba to make a proper sauce for pizza, you can get away with the Lidl passata with a little bit of puree and some oregano and seasoning :)
Diflower

Postby Diflower » 13 Sep 2013, 10:44

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I love a good bitch every now and then :D
I never watch it either, they all drive me mad :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 13 Sep 2013, 10:49

Me neither, we like BBC Brekkie, and then sometimes I'll watch Homes Under the Hammer or Heir Hunters if I've got ironing.........I can't iron unless I have TV on to distract me from the agony of it :roll: :lol:

Her hair really is awful - like a wig :? I expect someone told her it made her look young and trendy but it looked lovely shorter and layered :lol:
Kaz

Postby Weka » 13 Sep 2013, 21:08

The cheap ones here are the same price also, and now the same packaging. We pay 99c for a tin, so roughly 50p I think. I always thought the food here was more expensive than in London . Maybe it's not. I should put a list together for a comparison.

Ok, so one tin is going into a beef shin slow cooker, another into a chilli con carne
And that's all I can think of at 7:30 on a sat morning per coffee

Thanks for your replies. I thought I was being a bit dense.

So next question, if I was to grow tomatoes to bottle, to be like tinned tomatoes, is it plum tomatoes or is a different variety better.
Are they pack in a tomato sauce? Shows how much attention I pay. Lol. I just open them up and toss them into what ever I cook, but then they are chopped so always thought I was seeing the tomato "innards"
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

PreviousNext

Return to In The Kitchen