A wine thing, rather than a foody one

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

A wine thing, rather than a foody one

Postby tonicha » 09 Nov 2013, 21:06

I cooked a beef casserole earlier and It was really lovely - but I'd also opened a bottle of

Marco-Di-Pegoes Palema - 2009

yesterday ready for tonight - cost us under 2 euros and it was and is superb.

If you can find it, have it!!
tonicha

Re: A wine thing, rather than a foody one

Postby Ally » 09 Nov 2013, 21:36

You know what? I can't drink wine. :shock: :shock:

I've tried! :lol: :lol:

But there is some ingredient in wine that just does not agree with me..it literally makes me sick. :oops: :o

All other alcohol I'm fine with (except whisky but I can't stand the stuff :roll: )

I sometimes lust after a nice glass of red when I'm out but the consequences would be too horrific to even go there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 09 Nov 2013, 22:59

Ton there were some Portuguese wines that I absolutely loved, sadly not many make it here, I don't know why :?

Ally please don't talk about whisky :oops: :? :evil:
Diflower

Postby Ally » 09 Nov 2013, 23:05

Diflower wrote:Ton there were some Portuguese wines that I absolutely loved, sadly not many make it here, I don't know why :?

Ally please don't talk about whisky :oops: :? :evil:

Ok..but you need to now. ;) :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 09 Nov 2013, 23:35

May as well :D
Presumably you'd like the full story ;)

Okay, to set the scene - I was 16. The bloke wasn't an actual boyfriend; his girlfriend was a friend of mine but had moved far away.
(He was gorgeous actually, but that doesn't always equate to fancying. does it?). We were mates, in amongst a big group of mates. It was to be his sister's 21st birthday, and a big do was planned, so he asked me. There was to be lunchtime drinks and canapes, then a dinner out in the evening.

I bought a dress, showed him, and he said, oh but for the evening do, I think they're wearing long... :shock:
So then I went and found this plain black, sort of pinafore dress, square neck, but long - actually I loved that dress ;)

Lunchtime at their house. 'What would you like to drink?' - I had no idea, but the previous Christmas had tasted a whisky and ginger so asked for that. For the next 3 hours or so, my glass was permanently full, probably more and more whisky and less and less ginger. I was 16 for heavens' sake, it was his parents filling the glasses :shock: I had no idea how to handle drink, except it seemed rude not to drink it :roll:

Home was only 1/2 a mile or so down the hill, I have no idea how I got there, but went straight to bed and got up only to throw up. Then at 6.30 had to get up and get ready to go out for dinner :lol:
Which I did, it was at a lovely posh hotel, 3 courses - the mother on arrival said, whisky and ginger for you? :o Thankfully I declined.
I was like a zombie, I can still picture it exactly, sitting at the table...I remember his mother saying how much she liked that dress, that I had such a lovely figure and such spectacular hair that plain clothes were all I needed :oops: :D
And I know we had boeuf bougignon, although I ate barely a mouthful.
I got home and went to bed, and was ill for about 3 days :D

Couldn't even bear the smell of whisky for at least 30 years :lol:
Diflower

Postby Ally » 10 Nov 2013, 00:13

:lol: Your presumption was correct about me liking the full story, thank you. ;) :lol:

No wonder you couldn't bear the smell of whisky for all those years. :lol:

My whisky hating has lasted from the age of sixteen to right now..and I'll hate it for ever more! :lol: :lol:

I was 16 and had a free afternoon from school to supposedly use the time to study for my 'O' Levels.

Except my friend Gale and I decided to go to my house and have a drink! :o :shock:

I raided the drinks cabinet and we shared a half bottle of whisky and 2 cans of Tenant's super. :shock: :shock:
(Gale decided she didn't like the whisky but eejit face here decided she did! :roll: )

The last I remember I was staggering about the kitchen pretending to be Andy Stewart and belting out Donald Where's Yer Troosers?!!! :oops: :lol: :lol:

Gale put me to bed to sleep it off and rang my dad who (mum would've gone mental if she'd known!) came home from work to look after me and get me sobered up before mum got home from work. :roll: ;)

We then concocted a story about me 'having a stomach bug'. :lol: :lol:

Whisky? The drink of Satan. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 10 Nov 2013, 00:36

I'm not sure any other drink would do it :D
It is, absolutely Ally, evil, evil stuff :evil:
Nothing else has ever come close to doing me so much damage - the only modification is I can now look at a bottle (very briefly) without feeling physically ill.
I haven't actually got as far as sniffing it, and very much doubt I ever will ;) :D

It's probably a great shame it didn't put me off drink altogether, but I'd have missed out on a lot of pleasure along the way ;)
Diflower

Postby debih » 10 Nov 2013, 00:39

:lol:

Wine makes me sick too. I'm okay until about my fourth bottle. Then I have to switch to vodka.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Diflower » 10 Nov 2013, 00:41

Oh yes Debih, you're always safe with vodka ;) :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 10 Nov 2013, 10:02

Just the smell of whisky makes me heave, so I've never had more than a sip :? :evil: :lol:

The only spirit I can drink is Vodka, anything else makes me ill. I can drink about a bottle, if pressed, of wine but I will suffer for it! About 3 glasses is my optimum :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Love both of those stories 8-) :lol:
Kaz

Return to In The Kitchen