Boxing Day

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Boxing Day

Postby Lozzles » 06 Dec 2013, 17:30

We will probably have 12 people sitting down to lunch on Boxing day. Any ideas? I do want to do something hot, but obviously don't want to be cooking all morning after cooking on Christmas day too... :)
Lozzles

Re: Boxing Day

Postby jenniren » 06 Dec 2013, 19:34

I've never spent much time in the kitchen Boxing Day loz, we've always had a semi hot option. I do a huge pot, or two, of potatoes, saute the left over veggies (deliberately cook too many Christmas Day) mash the pots and fold the veggies in. Then it goes in a huge buttered dish sprinkled liberally with grated cheese and browns in the oven for 30mins or so - my version of bubble and squeak without all the frying. Serve up with garden peas, cold slices of turkey and ham, pigs in blankets, plus a good assortment of pickles.

After all the rich food on Christmas Day it's a lovely change and has always been really popular with all the family. Even better it's really quick and easy :)
jenniren

Postby tonicha » 06 Dec 2013, 19:35

I used to do a sort of buffet - i was catering for 13, of all ages - so I'd do a chilli with rice for the adults, or a jacket potato and the children would end up having nibbles. Some I made, some I bought in.

I'll have a think......it as a few years ago now :oops:
tonicha

Postby Kaz » 06 Dec 2013, 20:12

We tend to just all dig in and eat the cold meats, salads, leftovers etc. Oh and I always make a big trifle.......Not to mention the best part of Christmas food for me - the massive crusty bread turkey and mayo sandwich!!! :D :D :lol:
Kaz

Postby Rodo » 06 Dec 2013, 20:20

Yes, I'm like Kaz, cold buffet - you can't beat some nice cold turkey. A selection of buns/rolls and butter. A nice gateau, or lemon drizzle cake and some fruit or trifle. What more could you want.
Rodo

Postby Kaz » 06 Dec 2013, 20:33

:D
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 06 Dec 2013, 20:51

Twelve is a lot to have leftovers for though, and if they're there later as well that would be the 'cold' meal wouldn't it?
Jen's is a good compromise :)

How about a big gammon joint (we can get great big ones in the market, good value), either Jen's veg idea or new potatoes, or a big tray of Boulangere potatoes (nowhere near as rich as Dauphinoise).
Plus - red cabbage? Personally I'm not keen on the usual long-cooked with sugar, vinegar, apples, whatever, but that would certainly work and can also be sitting in the oven.
A couple of years ago I discovered you can also cook it a 'normal' amount of time, then toss it with creme fraiche and paprika, and love that :)
Also they're all things that can be just put on the table - gammon sliced of course.

Shepherds pie would be nice, base can be made ahead and frozen (or indeed the whole thing) and only needs one veg.
Fish pie?
Or a casserole, which could also be made ahead and frozen - venison or beef in red wine? Jacket potatoes for the least effort, or mash.
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2013, 23:32

We used to do a one-pot wonder of some sort, usually chilli, bolognese or mince and veg, but instead of rice, pasta and so on, it was with doosteps of buttered crusty bread. The one-pot was done early then put in a med oven till it was needed - dead easy.

Main was always followed by a trifle with cheese and biscuits to finish.

Anyone who stayed late had to put up with turkey sarnies with pickles and stuff.
Workingman

Postby debih » 07 Dec 2013, 01:30

Ours is usually the big one pot. Chilli with crusty bread or baked potatoes.

Shop bought cheese cakes to follow (why make yourself more work)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby miasmum » 07 Dec 2013, 01:52

Cold Turkey, reheated veg and put a gammon in the slow cooker early in the morning
miasmum

Next

Return to In The Kitchen