A hob question

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

A hob question

Postby miasmum » 30 Dec 2013, 20:17

People do seem to be very loyal to their gas hobs. I know I asked WHY? on Osc's steam ovens thread, but joking apart why do people love gas so much?

I had a gas hob 25 years ago for about 4 years, but then I had a ceramic hob. I did like that but used to burn stuff. Now I have my induction hob, I honestly couldn't imagine ever having anything else
miasmum

Re: A hob question

Postby Rodo » 30 Dec 2013, 20:18

I always thought I preferred a gas hob, but now have a ceramic hob and I love it.
Rodo

Postby debih » 30 Dec 2013, 20:33

I've never had anything other than gas, though I have used electric on holiday.

I prefer the controllability of gas.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby JoM » 30 Dec 2013, 20:40

We had a ceramic hob in our flat 23 years ago and I liked it. When we moved into our old house and re-fitted the kitchen we couldn't ever find one within our budget so went for a conventional electric hob, plus the gas supply didn't run as far as the kitchen. I hate electric hobs, they're slow to heat up and slow to cool down, and difficult to adjust the heat mid-cooking. We've got a gas one in this house, I love it - I was thrilled to bits when I noticed it was a gas hob and not an electric one. It's easy to adjust and I find it quick and easy to clean and it's cooled down by the time we've finished eating so can be cleaned while the kettle's boiling for a drink ;) With the electric one I used to have to wait hours before it had cooled enough to be cleaned.
JoM

Postby miasmum » 30 Dec 2013, 20:52

Induction is totally different though. The pans heat up the hob doesn't, so as soon as you take the pan off you can clean the hob. Nothing can burn on and if it boils over you can wipe it immediately. It has the same controllability as gas, e.g. immediate.

We had one, as with Luke there is always the worry he will touch the hob or fall during a seizure, so with the induction he can't burn himself as easily
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 30 Dec 2013, 21:42

I had an induction hob in our house in Swindon and was happy with it, but I'm equally as happy with the gas hob I have now, which was here when we moved in! I have a gas hob and a built in wall oven which is electric, and a fan oven, although it can be used without the fan. It's a double oven too. I like having an electric oven, I had a gas one once and really didn't get on with it! :?
Kaz

Postby meriad » 31 Dec 2013, 18:22

I currently have a regular ceramic hob but am very tempted to sell it and replace it with an induction hob. For quite different, but somewhat similar reasons as you Shell, safety. My cats are quite good about not jumping on the kitchen counter and it's the one area I am quite strict about but still, cats are cats and I do worry they could either burn themselves or accidentally switch on the hob (despite it having a lock function)

If I did get one, is there anything specific I should be looking for?
meriad

Postby miasmum » 31 Dec 2013, 19:37

I don't know Ria, I will ask him who knows. One thing you do have to be careful about it not getting foil near it because of the magnets
miasmum

Return to In The Kitchen