Cooking fish

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Cooking fish

Postby debih » 30 Dec 2013, 20:39

Being in land locked Derbyshire we don't get a massive choice of fish and because of that I don't really know what to do with it. But I would like to cook more.

Sainsburys have a fresh fish counter and my mum has a mobile fish man come round once a week so I can get hold of fish.

My staple fish dish is fish pie or kedgeree.

Can anyone recommend fish and recipes.

Mick really doesn't like salmon though.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Cooking fish

Postby Kaz » 30 Dec 2013, 21:47

Most white fish will cook in a foil or baking parchment parcel, with lemon, butter and a few herbs. Dill is nice :) I don't eat it myself but Mick loves fish so I do cook it ;)

Huge-Fairly-Wettinghimself (as Frank calls him) has some good fish recipes, I'll bet they are easily found via google. He's done mackerel a few times when I've been watching, in various ways ;)
Kaz

Postby lissie » 30 Dec 2013, 21:52

Smoked fish is really nice--cod or haddock.
Wrap in foil with some of the fancy butter they give away
in Sainsburys and cook in the oven for about 30 mins. OR
Wrap in baking paper and cook in microwave in a few minutes.
Serve with mash and peas.

lissie :D
lissie

Postby Diflower » 30 Dec 2013, 23:03

Really I like fish best on its own, more or less, just with eg bread and butter and peas. But one whole fillet each is expensive (I'm the only one who likes it here so get it from the market sometimes for a treat).

Thai fishcakes, made with any white fish: The fish, Thai green curry paste, spring onions, teaspoon or so of cornflour, all processed together. Chill then make into small cakes, fry & serve with chilli sauce - maybe not for the girls though ;)

Ordinary fishcakes - about equal amounts of white fish & mashed potato, parsley if you have it, make into cakes, coat with egg/breadcrumbs, bake or fry.

Smoked cod or haddock. As Lissie says easily cooked in microwave, then skin and put into ovenproof dish, either in fillets or big chunks. Either cooked & chopped or frozen/thawed spinach, put on top of fish. Then top with either cheese sauce or just mix creme fraiche with strong cheddar; bake briefly till golden & bubbling.

White fish. Put onto baking tray and cook under grill. Meanwhile cook new/waxy potatoes, drain & add chopped chorizo. Crush slightly with a fork, put on plates and add fish on top.

Smoked haddock & sweetcorn chowder, yummy.

Agree about Hugh, Jamie has done a few too :)
Diflower

Postby tonicha » 30 Dec 2013, 23:36

Fish fingers or fish from the chippy.

Much easier 8-)

Sorry, can't help. I don't like fish :oops:

Although in saying that, I do have a great recipe for tuna 8-)
tonicha

Postby Workingman » 31 Dec 2013, 18:39

Seared Sea Bass - skin on. Rub the fillets with butter or oil and season the flesh with herbs of choice, or none. Place skin side down in a really hot pan Turn once the flesh is cooked 1/2 to 2/3 through and cook out. Serve with salad leaves and chopped onion and tomato and a spoonful of white or parsley sauce. Do the same with Mackerel.

If you make a simple tomato sauce to go with the Mackerel they can be served with cheese/vegetable filled tortellini or ravioli

White fish - cod, haddock or whiting. Dust both sides with seasoned flour and shallow fry, turning once. Serve with peas and boiled baby potatoes.

Yorkshire fish cakes. Make mushy peas. Make a thickish batter of flour, salt, water and a splash of white vinegar, or beer, and set aside. Cut large potatoes (Maris Piper?) into slices about 5mm - 1/4 inch thick and parboil for a few mins. Take off cuts, or a fillet, of haddock (cod) and part cook (dry fry) till it can be crumbled then place in a bowl - season with salt and pepper. Add flour to the part cooked fish till it binds together. Make 'sandwiches' of the potato slices and fish - fish in the middle - and coat in batter. Lift the 'cakes' on a spatula or fish slice and slide them horizontally into hot oil. Cook for a few mins then carefully turn and cook till starting to brown. Remove. Do these in batches then return to the oil just before serving to finish off. Serve with hot mushy peas. These are a delicacy and the girls - and Mick and you - will love them.
Workingman

Postby debih » 31 Dec 2013, 19:24

Thanks all. Lots to try there.

We love Yorkshire fish cakes WM - the local chippies sell them.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Return to In The Kitchen