Salad

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Salad

Postby debih » 27 Jan 2014, 17:50

We are having salad tonight. I know, it's cold out and threatening to snow and we are having salad (with baked potato and lamb chop).

My standard salad is very boring - mainly because of two finicky girls. I tend to just use lettuce (usually just a cos lettuce), cucumber, spring onion and lettuce. Occasionally I add pepper and/or radish.

What do you put in your salads? I want to revamp mine.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Salad

Postby meriad » 27 Jan 2014, 17:53

you could add a bit of sweet corn or grated beetroot, grated carrots, raw mushroom (if you like them, if not blanch them a bit with soya sauce, they're yummy that way) pine nuts, sesame seads, any seeds really
meriad

Postby Rodo » 27 Jan 2014, 17:56

We often have salad as a vegetable. I suppose ours are usually pretty basic, but I make a home made dressing and we have sprinkly crispy onions on top. We love it.
Rodo

Postby debih » 27 Jan 2014, 18:03

We never have ours tossed in dressing - there is only me that would eat that.

Grated carrot - I love that on salad. Will definitely have that. I meant to buy some beetroot but forgot.

I love mushrooms in salad but end up getting cross as the girls sift through the salad bowl to make sure they don't get any.

I have some seeds - I will sprinkle them on mine when I've dished it up. I'd have Mick moaning as well if I put seeds on. Far too healthy!
debih

Postby Workingman » 27 Jan 2014, 18:12

To your base Debih, I would also use grated carrot, radish, slices of tomato - quartered, and crumbled hard-boiled egg. :D

No dressing, no seeds. :lol:
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 27 Jan 2014, 18:26

Mixed green leaves usually - spinach, lambs leaf, radicchio etc. Then maybe a few cherry toms.....Boring but we like it :lol:
Kaz

Postby molly » 27 Jan 2014, 18:43

Feta cheese is lovely on a salad.
molly

Postby debih » 27 Jan 2014, 19:12

I love all these things.

It's just finding the right sort of stuff that the kids (and a reluctant husband) will eat.
debih

Postby Diflower » 27 Jan 2014, 19:34

Lightly cooked green beans, sliced red cabbage, celery, grated celeriac, thinly sliced courgette?
I wouldn't do everything at once though, we eat quite a lot of salad so I vary it by using different things each time.
Like Kaz though it's often just leaves - we love spinach, sometimes with a grate of parmesan.

I got the boys eating much more salad by making sort-of coleslaws. First just the 'proper' ingredients, then as they got used to it, all sorts.
Red & white cabbage, lots of carrot, sliced radishes, celery, celeriac, peppers, etc. Dressing for it would be a little French dressing first, then you need only a little mayo, or salad cream, or creme fraiche; I usually add a bit of French mustard too.
Diflower

Return to In The Kitchen