Pressure cooker

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Pressure cooker

Postby debih » 11 May 2014, 00:17

I had one years ago and never really knew how to use it - I think I made a stew in it - once!

Then about 3 years ago I gave it to my father in law who also made a stew in it - once.

He has now given it back to me.

Any ideas as to what I can make in it? Or should I just send it to the charity shop!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Pressure cooker

Postby meriad » 11 May 2014, 10:00

My sister had one and gave it to me; and same as you I never really knew how to use it so didn't.... think I gave it to Karl and Nadine who also haven't used it.

From what I gather they are the opposite of a slow cooker so will churn out a super dooper tender meal in a very short time with good flavour because it isn't cooked overly long? but I may be very wrong there :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember one episode of The Taste, where one of the contestants didn't put enough liquid into the cooker and his food burnt; so that's one thing to bear in mind - you need liquid in a pressure cooker but not in a slow cooker.

I think they're very good for softening fruit etc for jams and compots etc; so maybe that would be of use to you?
meriad

Postby Paddypix » 11 May 2014, 10:36

I had one donkey's years ago, the old fashioned one with a weight on top that was inclined to blow off and make holes in the ceiling. :lol: I think the modern ones are much easier to use and they can be very useful for quickly making a tough cut of meat very tender. Great for ten minute soup too.
Paddypix

Postby Workingman » 11 May 2014, 12:06

On Rick Stein's tour of India he was using one of the old ones with the weights on top.

There were no timings for the recipes they were measured by pffts - when the steam was released. There were 2 pffts meals and 3 pffts meals. :lol: The big deal was taking the lid off :shock: .... I remember mum being terrified of that part with our old Prestige cooker. :)
Workingman

Postby debih » 11 May 2014, 12:44

Maybe I'll donate it to the charity shop.
debih

Postby Dippytrout » 11 May 2014, 14:44

TK and Turks in general couldn't survive without a pressure cooker, as we eat a lot of pulses which have to be soaked overnight and take ages to cook in a conventional manner (saucepan) :!: :!:

Also a good way to make a bit of ropey old sheep edible - red meat being very expensive here :(

TK also uses it to cook squid, octopus and the like.

Me, am scared to death of the thing :!: remember my Mother blowing up the kitchen - so YES give it away or preferably turn it into plant pot :lol: :lol:

DT
Dippytrout

Postby Osc » 11 May 2014, 21:24

We use ours mainly for cooking ham or bacon, used to use it for other stuff but can't remember what :lol: :oops: :lol:
Osc

Postby Kaz » 11 May 2014, 22:19

I had one years ago and absolutely loved it!! I used to make curries, stews and all sorts in it :) 8-) 8-)
Kaz

Postby Weka » 13 Jun 2014, 03:04

I make all sorts in mine. The modern ones normally have two or 3 different safety features to stop you from being able to remove the lid before it's safe.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby debih » 13 Jun 2014, 09:10

I still haven't tried it out - I'm going to hang on to it until the winter. Stews and curries are more a winter thing.

If it hasn't been used by next spring then its a gonna!
debih

Next

Return to In The Kitchen